Input Please...Charcoal Basket Mod for UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coachin&smokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Lewisport, KY
I had this el cheapo walmart charcoal grill forever, I walked past it in my building and thought maybe I could use that for the newly built UDS. It has a good handle on the bottom part and thought it could work as a charcoal basket for small or short cooks. What do you guys think? I almost used it this past weekend but opted for the traditional basket I made for the UDS since it was my first run with baby backs( q-view will follow in another thread.)

Check this out and let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

I took the stand off, flipped it and am using it as a holder and ash pan

close up. I used the 1" hole saw to help with airflow and for ash to fall and I cut 1"X2" rectangles mid way up.

in barrel, the dimensions are about 15" across and 5.5" deep on the stand it's 8" tall...notice the need for an ash pan on the side of the barrel. I only want to do that once!
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

Worth a try I guess but it looks to me like there may not be sufficient holes for the ash to fall out.

Pretty hard to beat the 13.5" charcoal grate with the expanded metal sides.

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky