Inkjunkie UDS...

Discussion in 'UDS Builds' started by inkjunkie, Feb 27, 2015.

1. inkjunkie

inkjunkie Master of the Pit

Absolutely nothing on the boob tube tonight, headed out to the garage to get started. Cut the expanded metal and angle iron for the charcoal basket...going to be 15"x15"x10" sitting 3" above the bottom plate. Sure glad I have a Plasma cutter.
    Dug the might welder out of the hole it calls home and melted it together.
    Thanks to not being g able to look ahead I created a problem for the bottom of it. Going to cut 2 pieces of angle iron to create a platform for it...hope to work on it some more tomorrow.
    Have a 16" pizza pan that I am going to notch to sit on the top of the basket....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. inkjunkie

Just have to cut the sheet for the pan and buzz it on...
    Not a wider but I can make a mess with a might machine

3. inkjunkie

Purdy liner...
    Purdy paint...
    Good day for a fire...

4. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

Right on, glad to see your getting started on her. Have fun with that liner. I have not seen a grey liner yet, hopefully it is easier to remove than the tan brown or red liners I have seen guys cuss about on here. I was lucky enough to have found unlined drums for mine.

5. timberjet

Make sure you drill your intake holes before the burn. It will help to get a good fire going. You probably knew that, just thought I would remind you.

6. inkjunkie

From what I can see it looks,like wherever the fire was raging it burned off. Letting it die down some. Going to stuff some more of the boards from the car trailer in it. One of my dogs was sitting by it, just like she does to the pellet stove in the house.

7. timberjet

I got impatient with my first one and over heated it. I would not suggest a leaf blower. lol. live and learn. Hahaha....

8. inkjunkie

Thanks for the heads up. Just sorta brick laid 40 feet of 2"x8" in it, going to be a while before it is done.

9. inkjunkie

Some of the liner is gone...
    Was smoking pretty good for a while. The boards from the car trailer were full of knots. Stood there for a while just watching them ooze sap.
    I love fires like this. Truly glad we live where we can burn yard waste.

10. timberjet

You need a pallet or 2. Total pyro here but, just saying

11. inkjunkie

Chopped about 70 feet of junk that has been laying around for a while now. I do have a pile of pallets...just hate burning them because of the nails.

12. timberjet

[​IMG]

13. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I have always heard the drums burn better at night!

14. inkjunkie

It has enough junk in it that it will be burning for a while...and it's getting dark now...lol

15. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Did you put your imtake holes in yet?

16. inkjunkie

Not yet....wanted to burn it first...plus I wasn't done with the charcoal basket. I want to put the intakes right at the bottom of the basket. Probably going to burn it again tomorrow. Will pop the holes in it first..

17. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The intake holes will make it burn better.

18. inkjunkie

Seemed like it was burning pretty well without the holes. But if it burns out over night I will drop the basket in and pop the holes accordingly. Thanks for the advice.

19. timberjet

[​IMG]UDS is born

20. timberjet

Listening to nirvana. NW rules