Injecting ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I need some help. My dad. Who is not in the best of health. Loves a good, firm, smoked ham. He would go on a pilgrimage to find the perfect ham. He hates ones that are injected and just loose to the feel. He would find ones that are nicely smoked. And the meat was still firm/dense. To him. The cost was no concern. And he would find them. I always had a thought that he went somewhere in PA to get them. Because he would be gone half the day or more to get them. I can not ask dad. He is in the advanced stage of dementia. So his answers can be questionable. But, he asked me and my brother to have a Thanksgiving that included this ham. I would like to give him this. But not sure if there is a way to make a ham without injecting. Or if you can inject. But still have a ham that he is talking about. I know that there is such a thing. I've had them for a number of years.
Here is me and my brother with dad. Taken today. My brother came up from TN to be with him.

PA063205.jpg

Reactions: DanMcG
Was the Ham you had Heat and Eat or was it soaked in multiple changes of water over a couple of days?...JJ

Get a fresh ham and seam it out into three small hams then dry cure them. they'll be done in plenty of time for the holidays.

Last edited:
Get a fresh ham and seam it out into three small hams then dry cure them. they'll be done in plenty of time for the holidays.

^^^ This idea from Dan is the only way I can think of having Ham that hasn't been injected. When you section it out into smaller pieces (under 3" thick each) you can Dry cure it without injecting it. Then give it a good Smoke.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky