Inherited a 17 year old WSM, only been used a handful of times but was kept uncovered outside...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DixieDawg

Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
Georgia...Go Dawgs!
and by handful I mean less than 10 times total. Buddy had it at his hunting camp but it has been exposed outdoors for a very long time. It looks fine and all, but is there anything I need to do in particular to restore this thing? Should it be reasonably decent once I give it a cleaning? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I would start with a good pressure washing followed by a high heat burn out. Can you post pic's of you WSM?

Chris

I recently got a 31 year old WSM that was used heavily and stored outside (covered, but the 31 year old cover had so many holes it didn't do much). I just hosed it out really well and let it burn for a couple hours before I put anything on it. I scrubbed the grates really well and ended up replacing the top one because it was rusted out. Check the bottom vents to make sure they will function properly. If they won't close all the way, you could have trouble controlling temps. Webers are built like tanks, just clean it up and you'll have a great smoker.

I'd clean it well, do a high heat burn, and oil it well. Really as long as it's not rusting apart, these things are good to go.

Also concerning vents; might be worth replacing them if they give you problems. I know grills of any kind tend to rust around the vents first.

Lucky find like already said they are like tanks. The main body should clean up with no problems the grates if rusty should be replaced or cleaned good and oiled with mineral oil. As said check the vents making sure they work. Fire it up burn it hot then start thinking about that first cook.

Warren

I've been off work for two days but when I left there was a WSM in a "Return to Vendor" cart and I fear it was just written off and sent into the trash compactor. I don't know.

I run a 22-inch 1990 kettle.

I'd clean it well, do a high heat burn, and oil it well. Really as long as it's not rusting apart, these things are good to go.

Also concerning vents; might be worth replacing them if they give you problems. I know grills of any kind tend to rust around the vents first.

I think I'll show this to my wife.
So those are rust spots in my underwear!
I'll tell her Tom said so. :rolleyes:

You know Tom, you don't have to out-run the bear.
You just have to out-run your Friend...:confused: :eek:

Reactions: TomKnollRFV

WSMs are coated in porcelain - no need to wipe it down with oil.

Chris

Warren I wasn't referring to your post. I completely agree with you about the grates. I saw Tom mentioned oiling in his post. Sorry for the confusion.

Chris

And others have said, clean, burn, and then maybe replace grates. We just inherited a 18” kettle since it didn’t sell at a garage sale, I think it needs new grates and that’s it. Given that the handles are wood it has to be almost as old as me

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky