ingrediients

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You can season your Chicken as desired and use the Basting Sauce below. Has a great flavor...JJ

Pit Chicken aka, Roadside Chicken

This Chicken is Grilled/Smoked and sold all across the country at Roadside Stands and at Firehouse Fund Raiser BBQ's. Here is my version

Pit Chix Basting Sauce

2C Apple Cider Vinegar
1C Olive or other Oil
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice
2Lrg Egg Yolks

The Chicken is Char Grilled/Smoked over indirect heat at 325-350°F until the Internal Temp (IT) reaches 165 in the Breast meat and 175°F in the Thighs. If the skin is not Crisp enough, a few minutes, turning frequently, over direct heat will get you there.
I squirt or Brush the Sauce on with a Sports Bottle about every 15-20 minutes. Tyipically I use all but 1/2 cup that I take to the Table to add a fresh Punch of flavor. Great Stuff!...

Beer is a distinctive sweet and sour (bitter) additive to sauces and marinades.
To remove the beer (and the flavor) do not use malt (sweet) or hops (sour) based additives.
Most vinegar (outside of malt) is pretty neutral. I would use rice or coconut myself. I do not like distilled vinegar and apple cider is often too flavored for my recipes.
Sugars is a long list. I would go with brown or palm sugar as it has a bit of flavor.
Beer can chicken is pure fantasy and I have researched this.
Lots of guys spatchcock for this but I just halve it so it's easier to handle. This year I made the best chicken ever. Happened to be jerk chicken but could be another flavor. Cliff notes: rub several days in advance, smoke 325F until 160F IT breast and 180F IT drums.
I spatchcock (cut out the spine) and half (split the keel) for much better oven cooked or grilled yard bird.

This is a SMF outstanding thread. An "issue" was raised and 100% support from members posting suggestions.

I was thinking beer can chicken of course. And also using it as a marinade and a mop sauce. A friend of mine uses beer sauce on on his chicken and im reluctant to enjoy it. All of the ideas are good.
Ginger beer in a marinade or brine sounds like a great idea. I can see it lending itself well to a lot of styles. I honestly can’t believe I haven’t incorporated it into my jerk chicken before. I have found that it goes great in burnt ends. I second the spatchcock method for chicken. In my opinion far superior to beer can. When it comes to food use what you like and don’t feel like you have to replicate certain flavors. There is no reason to use or be around any ingredients that you don’t want to. There is literally a world full of flavors out there. Congrats on the sobriety and keep fighting. Let me know how ginger beer works as a mop sauce cause if it’s not to sugary I think you might be on to something there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky