Info on Amateur BBQ Competitions? What type of smoker is needed?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
has a grate too....look up the videos....everyone I know has one loves it. Also the ribs are done not only faster, but taste way better. 

The smoker shouldn't play much of a role in the quality of your food ... I have to respectfully disagree about the pit barrel.. a 22.5 wsm is way better for competition... if U go to any BBQ comp you will find several wsm for a reason .. a pit barrel lacks capacity and adjustments ... a wsm can cook ribs just as fast if not faster then a pit barrel. U can dial in your temps to what ever you want them to be ... I'd take a wsm or UDS to a comp way before even considering a pit barrel

The smoker shouldn't play much of a role in the quality of your food ... I have to respectfully disagree about the pit barrel.. a 22.5 wsm is way better for competition... if U go to any BBQ comp you will find several wsm for a reason .. a pit barrel lacks capacity and adjustments ... a wsm can cook ribs just as fast if not faster then a pit barrel. U can dial in your temps to what ever you want them to be ... I'd take a wsm or UDS to a comp way before even considering a pit barrel
I am not arguing you....good points....I just know guys that have them and they love'em. I was also focusing on value. It's thicker metal and 100 dollars less. I have seen more drums than smokey mountains at competitions. As a matter of fact, I don't remember seeing any WSM at the Reno Rib cookoff I went to a couple years back. Now I saw some funky smokers like some in shapes of pigs and tanks. But many had a few UDS units and it's all they used.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky