Increasing temps in my CG SmokerPro??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MatBirch

Original poster
Oct 7, 2017
Hi there, kind of a newbie here with a Char Griller smoker pro with SFB. I have made several of the mods listed including, a nice deep charcoal basket replacing the grills and grate in the SFB, tuning plates and baffle made from 10ga. stainless, extending the stack to 2” above grill level, and adding dual temp gauges at a similar height. I’ve also added some small angles and sealed the lid.
For fuel I’m currently using Kingsford “regular” and mixing in chunks of oak with it.
I *think* I’m using the minion method- starting about 1/2 a chimney full, and dumping it in on top of a pile of coals.
After the mods, my new gauges were only reading just under 200 no matter what I did to the fire. Sometimes as low as 175ish. I smoked a 6 pound pork loin, cut in half, and it took about 4 hours. I had to refill the charcoal once, and add oak often. Still was excellent!
I have since added an oven thermometer sitting on the grill. It tells me my guages in the lid are pretty accurate.
Last was a whole chicken sitting on a can of hard pear cider. Temps could not get over 200 no matter what I did to the fire. Recipe chart calls for 240. Adding some chunks of oak help bring it up, but not much. I feel like it would take bringing the SFB to glowing red hot to get the main chamber to 225 or higher. I’ve already burned nearly all the paint from the SFB, and switched to oil to prevent rust.

While I’m making some fantastic meals, it’s 70 degrees out now. I’ll never be able to use this in the winter like this...

Thanks for listening!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky