Inconsistent temperature in my vertical smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sanchogrande

Original poster
Aug 9, 2022
Hey all,

I've had a hard time with my vertical propane smoker (masterbilt), and I've suspected issues with the temperature. I got a 4-probe ThermPro thermometer for Father's Day (so cool, I could read temperatures from my living room!) and decided to set up probes in different parts of the smoker. My probe on the top shelf was at 200, and the probe on the 2nd lowest was at 300. When I moved the probes around on their shelves (front, back, middle, side) , I got very different readings.

My ribs failed...15 hours in there and couldn't get them done. So I assume it wasn't hot enough for them even though my temperature readings were over 225 most of the time.

I had a water bath for the first 8 hours or so, and that didn't seem to help create an even temperature. I have noticed that the smoker leaks a good deal of smoke from the front door; not sure if that is part of my problem.

My questions:
- Is this amount of variability normal in a vertical smoker?
- Is there anything I can do to try for a more reliable temperature?

Welcome to the site. I think you cooked them 10 hours to long if i am reading 15 hours correctly

Reactions: sanchogrande
Yeah, those ribs never got over 185 with the other ThermaPro probe, and they never passed a bone test or a floppy rack test (can't remember what people call it when you lift it and see it bend). I don't really understand what happened.

• Sad
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky