Inaugural Smoke on the Custom Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
With the help of this forum, I've been playing with this new custom smoker that my dad got me (new to me, anyway). I still don't feel comfortable with it, but I'm throwing down some meat on it anyway.

Just 20 minutes ago I dropped 2 briskets and and pork butt.
IMG_20190703_212511.jpg

Stay tuned for results.

And maybe say a prayer :emoji_wink:

Reactions: JC in GB
I'm at 3 hours in and I'm finally feeling comfortable with my temps holding steady. For a while I'd feed it up to 250° and watch it trickle to 210°. Then feed it up to 250° and watch it trickle again.

I finally pulled the charcoal pan I had in there and swapped it for an old 14" wheel I found in my Old Man's barn. Now the temps are holding at about 260°. It's a bit higher than my normal comfort zone of 230°-240°, but I think I'm okay with it.

I'm thinking the previous pan just restricted air flow too much and this wheel is doing a much better job letting the air through.

It's rolling some beautiful TBS and I'm getting sleepy. I'ma catch some winks and see how she holds.

Well just experienced my first grease fire in the new pit.

Yeesh.

Luckily, I think I saved all the meat. The pork butt might have some charred butcher paper crust, but all in all I came out a lot better than I could have on that one.

Screenshot_20190704-060544.png

I think you found the primary problem when using a direct fired smoker... Been there... Done that... Peel off the black and chow down on some great chow...

Reactions: Preacher Man
Pork butt was done at 8:30a (10 hours). Probe tender at 204°

Brisket in the middle section was done at 10:00a (11.5 hours). Probe tender at 196°

Both are in a cooler stuffed with towels. The other brisket I didn't wrap and it's at 180° currently (almost 13 hours).

Here in about 45 min I'll be dropping some ribs with pear wood.

Got busy and didn't have time to update. Sorry guys.

So I dropped the ribs and then made the gamble to take my kids to town to get fireworks, hoping all would be okay. Well, I come back an hour and a half later and my smoker temps are 365°. Ribs are already at 180° and my remaining brisket is at 208°.

Dang it.

Brisket got pulled and ribs got taken to 195° (per @SmokinAl) and then placed in a warm oven.

Last edited:
All in all, the meal turned out great for my first smoke on the new smoker. This is going to bring a whole new dimension to my addiction.

Despite my lack of experience, the grease fire, and the spiked temperatures - everything still came together. I'm grateful for that!

The over-cooked brisket has some delicious bark to it! It got chopped up and mixed with sauce for chopped beef sandwiches.

The rest? Well, we feasted...

IMG_20190704_193057~3.jpg

...until we couldn't feast anymore.

Thanks to all who handed out their advice and expertise.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky