In the market for a grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bobby Strange

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Hey guys,

i am in the market for a new grill...ive been looking at pellet smokers and Kamado style ceramic grills...does anyone have a preference?

What are your plans for it? Just grilling or smoking also. Are you looking for gas/charcoal? I love my Webber kettle I rarely use my MES do most smoking and all grilling on my kettle. You can do a lot with them

What are your plans for it? Just grilling or smoking also. Are you looking for gas/charcoal? I love my Webber kettle I rarely use my MES do most smoking and all grilling on my kettle. You can do a lot with them

Id like to be able to do both on it.

Id like to be able to do both on it.

Take a look at the Masterbuilt 560 a few of use have them now on the site and I haven't heard many complaints about the cooks
grill.jpg

that rec tec bull looks amazing

Yep...you can't go wrong with the 700 Bull. Since getting mine the only other cooker I use is the propane grill. The Bull is very versatile. You can smoke, grill, and do super low and slow for sausage, bacon, dried beef, etc. Those super low temps you cannot maintain with a Kamado style grill. I have an XL BGE also and about the lowest it will stay lit is 225 to 230. That's too high for sausage and such. I believe the highest temp the Bull will attain is 500, which is still fine for grilling, but I'll just use the sear burner on the propane grill if I need something that high.

Lotsa choices and not an easy decision to make. Keep us posted.

Robert

Reactions: negolien
Rec Tec has a great reputation and a buddy of mine loves his. Another top end is the Yoder but really pricey but it comes with the FireBoard PID controller built it which puts it in another league.

Take a look at the new Weber pellet grill just coming out now. It will likely be a top performer and Weber is known for value and quality in their grills. I am not a fan of many of the sheet metal pellet grills out there. I worry about quality and durability. The pellet grill market is getting quite crowded these days and the cost pressures are on.

Ref. kamados, I personally would buy that first. I would stick to a good ceramic one. Kamado Joe sells a great package and comes with all the stuff you need vs. add-ons that Big Green Egg is famous for.

Starting out, the pellet grill is really convenient. The kamado is more versatile. I think you should buy both!

The kamado is more versatile.

With all due respect, I must disagree with this. I have both a BGE and a Rec Tec 700 Bull. I can do WAY more with the Rec Tec than I can with the BGE. The only thing on the plus side for the Egg is that it'll attain higher temps than the Rec Tec. They are a great piece of equipment, don't get me wrong, but from a standpoint of versatility, the Rec Tec wins hands down.

I think you should buy both!

Now this I wholeheartedly agree with!! :emoji_wink:

Ya can never have too many cookers,
Robert

• Haha
I've had an MES30 for years now and love it for what it is--a cheap way to get into smoking. More recently I bought a Camp Chef Woodwind SG with the Sear Box. It has been awesome in the short time I've owned it.

Just to put my 2 cents in - I have a Traeger and while I love it for smoking (rock solid temps), its no fun to grill on. It takes quite a while to heat up and at max temp I can't get any nice grill marks unless I want overcooked meat. My next pellet grill will be one that has some sort of searing mechanism on it.

Id like something that i can use to cook low and slow but also if i had some friends over and wanted to cook up some brats or burgers, i could get that done as well...basically the best of both worlds. these replies are fantastic, thank you very much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky