Impromptu Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdkimbro

Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
Athens, TN
This morning, my wife told me that she planned to make Corned Beef in the slow cooker. I offered to smoke it instead. Any excuse to use my new Meater thermometer.
10 hours in the MES30 and it turned out great!
Sandwiches tonight, and hash in the morning!
48F401DC-4588-46C5-8DA3-B839D760E67B.jpeg

Looks good. SO you smoked a corned beef from the store?

Looks great. Nice and juicy. I usually cure my own beef then smoke but I am going to do two store bought shortly. GFS has huge briskets already cured and very well trimmed for $3.69 / lbs. couldn’t turn that down

Reactions: Steve H
Yeah. That wasn’t clear.
The corned beef was one of those pre “corned” from the store.
Still turned out great, though.

Yup. I do that time to time. Nothing wrong with that.

We do those too, not quite as good as a home cured one, but for the time you save & the convenience, you can’t beat it. And yours looks delicious!!
Al

Reactions: jdkimbro
I do this every year after St. Paddy's day when all the corned beef goes on sale post holiday.
That's a great time to pick them up really cheap. Costco also sells nice big corned Top and Bottom Round roasts.
I tried smoking one of them once but I didn't soak it first. It came out way too salty. This year, I'll be sure to soak
it first. (the flats I did always turned out good without soaking as long as I got it up to 195-200)

Reactions: jdkimbro
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky