I'm Confused

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 11, 2015
Maryland Eastern Shore
Not hard to do to an old man is confuse him. But where is this world going? Our younglings are not now taught long hand writing in school and they can't read it either. The world of computers doesn't do long hand. So no need to teach it.
Next the younglings can not read a clock with hands on it, the only way they can tell time is with a digital clock. REALLY.

Sorry but I'm old and confused.

Warren

Reactions: dernektambura
Many years ago I had a stunning realization about myself.

I am now that 'old man' that I used to laugh at when I was their age.

I can relate. I work for a school system (in IT) and I see much of what you speak of firsthand.
Its mind boggling.

Reactions: JC in GB
Yes I see it all and I'm told by my one daughter who is a teacher's aid.
Like going to the store they just hand a hand full of change and say the amount. :emoji_astonished:

Warren

With that, calligraphy is doomed.
I remember getting my wedding invites hand done, because printer couldn't print such fancy fonts.

Reactions: JC in GB
I'm on the fence on the cursive thing. I mean where is it used outside of signatures? and most of people's signatures are just scribbles anyway.

I will say, I'm glad I learned it and am all for keeping it. But not sure how to justify really. Seems more relevant to teach programming than cursive in this day and age.

did find this though and it has valid points:

http://www.cursivelogic.com/why-cursive

Figuring out change at the register, using a rotary phone, and having a sense of humor are all going by the wayside. Between the PC movement and everyone gets a trophy we're doomed. Might as well toss all the hand written letters from our grandparents, because we're probably the last or next to last generation who'll be able to read them.

Chris

I'm okay if she cant read or write cursive or tell time by looking at the hands on a clock. She's getting the important stuff down. Work hard. Don't spend more than you can afford Save what you can, loans are evil and retirement age isn't in your 60's or 70's is in your 50's.

I like this philosophy. And that last bit... 55 is my goal :emoji_fingers_crossed:

I think they should add a cursive font to SMF

cursive.jpg

Not hard to do to an old man is confuse him. But where is this world going? Our younglings are not now taught long hand writing in school and they can't read it either. The world of computers doesn't do long hand. So no need to teach it.
Next the younglings can not read a clock with hands on it, the only way they can tell time is with a digital clock. REALLY.

Warren
Warren, they are also being lied to when it comes to History.....

Why keep teaching something that isn't useful?
Next time you ask for tech support it will all come full circle.

I will preface this newfangled interweb post thingamajig by saying I agree with everything said above,BUT...
Should we all exchange addresses and write cursive letters to each other instead of typing on this forum?
Should the young'uns be taught how to:
Use the Dewey decimal system?
The time lost (that could have been used studying) coming and going to the library is mind boggling,Not to mention after going through the card catalog to locate where the book is at you need to read is nowhere to be found. No,I'll log on to the internet,thanks.

Hitch/drive/ride a horse/buggy? Screw horses,ride a motorcycle,drive a car.

Etcetera,etcetera

Technology and progression waits for no one,including romantics of bygone ways.

Reactions: ImScaryGrr

Warren
man, i know exactly what you talking about... my 20 yo daughter came out of shower wrapped in huge towel, iphone in hand and clear plastic bag over hand.... I said: freeze young lady...! are you texting and showering?!?... she said: YES.. SO?? By the look she gave me I realized that I am old, relic and can't keep up with now a days...
Later on, I was mulching on some smoked prosciutto, sipping some home made roze Zifandel vine and trying to imagine smoked meat forum based on good old letter/envelope, sending/receiving post office delivery type... it would take good portion of the year to exchange info...
YES Halfsmoky, seems that we are to old and to slow moving to catch up to technology and new breed of humans that using it.... lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky