I'm boiling an entire pork butt to make it tender. Foam will understand...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I know what it's going to be.    Pork liver gave it away

Gary

popcorn.gif

Coffee.gif

Gary 

I know where this is going...Love It!...JJ

CB, evening..... I've never seen pork liver for sale here... Do you think beef liver would work ?? I've never seen any recipes for beef liver... I've got access to all I want for free from my neighbor....

Howdy Dave!

Beef liver is a bit much for this. In the past, I've used chicken livers when I couldn't get pork liver. The chicken livers work ok, but there's no replacing the flavor of the piggie guts. I tried goat liver once, and it's WAY too sweet! My farm dog (God rest his soul), ended up getting 10-12 pounds of it as a treat over a few weeks! Yeah, goat lover is bad for this! LOL

Do you have any Asian markets close by? They usually have it.

My son, who's in college in New Mexico, can't begin to find pork liver, so he used braunsweiger (sp) instead on his last batch. That worked out really well for him he told me, but it wasn't like we make with the pork liver.

I'll have to check the Latino markets... No Asians here, too bad, no "good Chinese food" restaurants... Trouble with the Latino's, if you are not Latino, the price in the meat market triples..

I'll have to check the Latino markets... No Asians here, too bad, no "good Chinese food" restaurants... Trouble with the Latino's, if you are not Latino, the price in the meat market triples..

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Being in Texas is a big help. I feel certain that the Hispanic markets in your area aren't even close to what we have here.

If all else fails, go into the market and say; "necesito algo de hígado de cerdo"... I need pork liver.

The main problem will be, as soon as you say that line, they'll reply in Spanish and you may be screwed.... :biggrin:

However, try it with chicken livers or the braunschweiger and see what you think.

As luck would have it...... There I am in W-M talking to a meat guy about pig liver.... He said, "We never get it"....

Then a guy comes up to me and says, "Come to my meat packing house and I'll give you some. I throw away 5 gallon buckets of the stuff every week"...

I have had beef slaughtered there previously... about 5 miles away is all... He slaughters my neighbors Angus cows....

So I fell into it, and now I smell like roses.... Time to vac-pack some come Wednesday... Wednesday is pig slaughter day.... I think I'll see if I can get tongue and cheeks and what ever he doesn't need.... maybe even a tail... fat, darned if I know.....

Now that's a score! Congrats on that win!

Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

Now I'm looking forward to your creations!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky