I'm a complete IDIOT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Well like the man said "Stupid is as stupid does".

I just pretty much wrecked my right hand--and of course I'm right handed. No excuse, 'cause I know better. I was using my skill saw to cut some pieces of 1x4 wood into 1 1/2" strips to use as shims on our freshly cut Christmas tree (the trunk was too small to lock into place in the stand), and holding the wood in my right hand while I sawed it. Done it hundreds of times. But this time, yep you guessed it, the wood suddenly kicked back. It removed a lot of meat from my thumb across the palm to my little finger. Miss Linda drove me into our local emergency and the doc put in 26 stitches to stop the bleeding. Then an ambulance ride to the big city hospital in Red Deer to see what they could save. Well, it turns out, the wood literally tore its way through the 2 tendons, nerves, and all the blood vessels in the first finger (next to the thumb) and through 90% of the 2 tendons in the next finger.

The surgeon--Red Deer's top Plastic Surgeon--is pretty sure she successfully repaired the damage to the tendons, but the blood vessels are another matter. Turns out they're the size of the finest hair on the body. How the hell do you repair something that tiny?? So only time will tell if she was successful or if that finger has to come off. Now that's no big deal--don't really care as I can work around that. But, for the next 2 months, I can't use the hand FOR ANYTHING. And I'm just a couple of days away from the start of my Winter Log Haul.

I'm going to lose at least 2 months of high dollar work. So you can guess just how PO'd I am. And it was my own stupidity for doing something that I knew had the potential to turn out bad.

Anyway, it took me half an hour to one finger type this with my left hand. I'll still be reading all your posts, but........probably not posting for at least 2 months.

As a warning not to do this, I've included a pic of the hand Miss Linda took. It's just a tad ugly so i put in as a thumbnail. Open it or not, your choice.

My hand1.jpg

Gary

Damn man . It happens so fast . That looks bad dude . Rehab is gonna be key to getting the use back .
dang man . I hate to see that . Good luck Gary . It hits home because I've seen it in person . Good luck to you bud . Man . That sucks .

Oh my! Glad you have your fingers. Hope the healing happens as soon as possible.

Holy smokes bud. Looks terrible. Happened to my father in law using a drill press drilling through antler last year. His hand still ain't right. Take care of yourself Gary!

Wow Gary!!
Now Miss Linda has to take good care of you!!
That looks freaking deep too!
I got myself in the front of my left leg, above the knee, with a Commercial Hedge Trimmer, a few years back. The Leg Bone stopped the trimmer.
Hoping you heal real fast on this one, Buddy!!

Bear

WOA! Geeze you sure went big on this one. So sorry - I hope she was able to save your finger. Looks pretty bad. But you will survive and that is the most important thing. Missing work sucks for sure. Hang in there. we are all pulling for ya!

That really sucks hopefully it will heal and you can keep the fingers. The work thing sucks as well but your health is more important. It's amazing how fast things can go wrong when using power tools and I think we are all guilty of doing things we shouldn't at one time or another using them. I hope the pain isn't terrible and I'm afraid the rehab is not going to be fun either.

Oh man I hope things heal good for ya! Just don't rush it just let it heal!

PS, I have a huge scar and titanium crew in my foot because of using a bar stool for a step stool......its a long story but in short I was confined to a couch/bed for 2 months because of pins poking out of my foot.... then 4 months to learn how to walk again after......I feel for ya!

Gary so to hear as well as see the picture of your hand, I will be praying for you

Oh man, I’m so sorry. That’s a terrible hit over the holidays. Our families prayers for a quick recovery.

Yikes dude! It looks bad and a long road ahead healing wise. But, it could have been a lot worse. Prayers of healing and comfort going your way!
Jim

Oh man that's terrible Gary !
But sounds like you've got a good nurse at home. Prayers for a full and speedy recovery!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky