Ideas on heating patio in winter?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigfoote

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Hot Springs Village, AR
My outdoor kitchen is covered and the ceiling is 9 ft high, but the sides are open. The area is about 12'x20', with half an eating area and the other half kitchen. i also have a patio seating area 14'x20', same ceiling height as the kitchen and walled on 3 sides and one 20' side open. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with heating outdoor areas with infrared heaters? I'm hoping to find a way to extend our outdoor entertaining season. I'm attaching a view of the outdoor kitchen area.
Home05192008 004.jpg

Can you use visqueen or plastic tarps to cover the openings during the winter? If you can it might make it a lot easier to heat and enjoy it.

Reactions: bauchjw
Infrared heaters definitely make a huge difference! Might help tho is what are outside ambient temps on average. Only experience I have is sitting under infrared heaters in deadwood SD during gambling trips while going outside to smoke.

Ryan

• Haha
beautiful set up, and yes that is quite a large area to heat up. as for the heaters . I dont own one but a friend does and
he says they are fine but changing tanks often, and only heat a small area. They do sell larger ones than his

David

Can you use visqueen or plastic tarps to cover the openings during the winter? If you can it might make it a lot easier to heat and enjoy it.
That's a good idea, and I'm going to explore it further. The main concern I have is enclosing the kitchen area could a problem with venting smoke from my two BGE's (Large & XL) and my 52" gas grill. But enclosing the end by the area and the long side farthest from the pool help, while still leaving plenty of ventilation for the smoke.

Infrared heaters definitely make a huge difference! Might help tho is what are outside ambient temps on average. Only experience I have is sitting under infrared heaters in deadwood SD during gambling trips while going outside to smoke.

Ryan
I'm in Golf Heaven, otherwise known as Hot Springs Village, AR. Although it can get colder, I'm thinking between 25 degrees to 50. I'm also thinking about electric infrared heaters, placed on the walls near the ceiling.

Reactions: JLeonard
beautiful set up, and yes that is quite a large area to heat up. as for the heaters . I dont own one but a friend does and
he says they are fine but changing tanks often, and only heat a small area. They do sell larger ones than his

David
Thanks, we built our house in 2007 and the patio area was in the plans from the beginning. We've had a lot of good times there. I can't believe I've waited this long to heat it. But as we've gotten older, we're not as interested in doing big cookouts with 65 pounds of brisket, ribs, and sausage , or just pulled pork. We prefer smaller get togethers. Less work and more conversation. As I said above, I'm looking at electric infrared heaters, and thinking of multiple ones. Just curious if they can warm up the area to an acceptable temp for old people. Curious to know how well they work and hear from those who have them.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I feel like the infrared heaters would work for you. One of the ice cream places here uses them to heat their 24'x48' pavilion during the spring and fall seasons. It averages 30° on opening day, and its plenty comfortable.

They have a pretty big budget, so I'm sure they went all out with the bigger units. But you could probably save a few bucks by using them along with drop curtains on 2 or 3 sides.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I feel like the infrared heaters would work for you. One of the ice cream places here uses them to heat their 24'x48' pavilion during the spring and fall seasons. It averages 30° on opening day, and its plenty comfortable.

They have a pretty big budget, so I'm sure they went all out with the bigger units. But you could probably save a few bucks by using them along with drop curtains on 2 or 3 sides.
That's good to know. Thanks.

One thing to keep in mind about electric infrared heaters or infrared radiant heaters in general is that they don't heat the air. Rather they heat objects which makes them very efficient. However, they are more of a "line of sight" type of heater. The further away you are from them, the less heat you will feel. Likewise, objects will block the heat.

One standard 120V 1500 watt electric infrared heater will produce 5,115 BTUs on one 15 Amp circuit. Of course, there are 4,000 watt 240V heaters that will produce 13, 648 BTUs.
But most folks don't have 240V receptacles on their patio.

Personally, I use two radiant kerosene heaters, one convection kerosene heater, and one overhead electric infrared heater to heat a small zone on my patio. Currently the outside temp is 34°. My heated zone is 70° and further way, the temp is 57°.
Regular propane patio heaters were out of the question due to the height of my patio ceiling.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Here's some info and ideas about infrared heaters.

If you have natural gas service out in the Village I'd recommend overhead mounted nat. gas. If not and you can have/stand a big propane tank I'd go that way. Last thing I'd want is electricity.

Last edited:
Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Here's some info and ideas about infrared heaters.

If you have natural gas service out in the Village I'd recommend overhead mounted nat. gas. If not and you can have/stand a big propane tank I'd go that way. Last thing I'd want is electricity.
Thank you for your suggestion. Are there reasons for this, or just a personal preference?

bigfoote bigfoote No help on heating the area. But, I'm from Southaven, MS just south of Memphis. Love the Hot Springs area.
Jim
My wife and I have been here 15 years, and we both love it. Can't imagine a better place to grow old. Great golf and fishing, lots of walking trails for those who like to hike, and the cost of living is great. Although COVID has affected that somewhat. And because most everyone is from somewhere else, similar to some areas of Florida, it's easy to make friends. We have our own police force, fire department and ambulance service, over 500 miles of paved roads, and at around 26,000 acres, we are the largest gated community in the U.S., and the cost of lots are unbelievably low. We're about a 30 minute drive to the heart of Hot Springs and 45 minutes to Little Rock. The hunting is great in Arkansas too, but the only thing I hunt is my golf ball.

Do they use electric infrared heaters or gas heaters?

Infrared heaters work very well. I think any heat source would work well. You are not outside in the tundra, just need to take the chill off a bit. Most guests will be wearing warm clothes, heat will make it comfortable. With the additional sides covered, you could make it very toasty.

If you install them correctly infrared heaters work very well. There are tower type as well as mounted bar type. You can run them off NG or LPG

I have a good friend that sells infrared heaters to several major restaurant chains for their outdoor seating, as well as large box stores, shops, and outdoor car washes. Many years ago when his dad owned the biz, I worked for him and my buddy and me got on of the patio lines started.....that line is his #1 line now because the work really well (more buyers too).

Infrared heaters work very well. I think any heat source would work well. You are not outside in the tundra, just need to take the chill off a bit. Most guests will be wearing warm clothes, heat will make it comfortable. With the additional sides covered, you could make it very toasty.
I'm looking for a retractable screen to use as a wind block/insulation on two or three sides, but haven't found anything yet. But I don't think we need them. Now I'm trying to determine what power, how many, and brand. Thanks.

If you install them correctly infrared heaters work very well. There are tower type as well as mounted bar type. You can run them off NG or LPG

I have a good friend that sells infrared heaters to several major restaurant chains for their outdoor seating, as well as large box stores, shops, and outdoor car washes. Many years ago when his dad owned the biz, I worked for him and my buddy and me got on of the patio lines started.....that line is his #1 line now because the work really well (more buyers too).
I'm confused about gas and electric infrared heaters. I understand electric heat objects in their line of site. Aren't the gas more like conventional heaters heating the air and objects close to them? One of the things I'm trying to decide, is which on is best for my situation. Thanks for your input.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky