Ideas on heating patio in winter?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My outdoor kitchen is covered and the ceiling is 9 ft high, but the sides are open. The area is about 12'x20', with half an eating area and the other half kitchen. i also have a patio seating area 14'x20', same ceiling height as the kitchen and walled on 3 sides and one 20' side open. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with heating outdoor areas with infrared heaters? I'm hoping to find a way to extend our outdoor entertaining season. I'm attaching a view of the outdoor kitchen area.
View attachment 521218
We purchased these for our patio. https://www.mosquitocurtains.com/ You mount the track on the ceiling or or wall and the plastic or mosquito mesh slides easily to the side and out of the way when not needed. You obviously don't need the mosquito net, but the clear plastic with a heater or two should keep you warm, even on cold days.

Reactions: RSK
I'm confused about gas and electric infrared heaters. I understand electric heat objects in their line of site. Aren't the gas more like conventional heaters heating the air and objects close to them? One of the things I'm trying to decide, is which on is best for my situation. Thanks for your input.
Gas infrared heaters heat the object just like an electric infrared heater.
Depending on how much heat you want, here is some commercial installations that could easily fit your situation.
https://infraredradiant.com/patio-heaters/
This is just one brand that does it commercially.

The other and the easiest is the get some free standing propane ones. They run off a 20lb bottle hidden at the base and can be moved around where you need them. Here is an amazon link to a host of them. Just do a search for free standing propane patio heater and you will get a whole bunch of venders and types....ie the round umbrella ones have been around for a long time, the pyramid ones are kind of new but add a nice flare to them.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=patio+propane+heater&adgrpid=1343603773100076&hvadid=83975450735114&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=105382&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83975578481984:loc-190&hydadcr=13737_13362720&tag=smokingmeatforums-20

Just looking at your space I could see a combination of both making you area fully functional for almost all conditions.

PS..Edit, the Patio ones are just larger versions of the buddy heater.....I have many of these, including a wall mount one in my shop.
https://www.mrheater.com/product/heaters/buddy-series.html

We purchased these for our patio. https://www.mosquitocurtains.com/ You mount the track on the ceiling or or wall and the plastic or mosquito mesh slides easily to the side and out of the way when not needed. You obviously don't need the mosquito net, but the clear plastic with a heater or two should keep you warm, even on cold days.
I appreciate your reply. These would be good, but I'm interested in ones that retract/roll up and would be permanent, not something I would have to put up and then take down and store. I've even thought of enclosing my screened enclosure like that, but putting up and taking down would require too much work.

Gas infrared heaters heat the object just like an electric infrared heater.
Depending on how much heat you want, here is some commercial installations that could easily fit your situation.
https://infraredradiant.com/patio-heaters/
This is just one brand that does it commercially.

The other and the easiest is the get some free standing propane ones. They run off a 20lb bottle hidden at the base and can be moved around where you need them. Here is an amazon link to a host of them. Just do a search for free standing propane patio heater and you will get a whole bunch of venders and types....ie the round umbrella ones have been around for a long time, the pyramid ones are kind of new but add a nice flare to them.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=patio+propane+heater&adgrpid=1343603773100076&hvadid=83975450735114&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=105382&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83975578481984:loc-190&hydadcr=13737_13362720&tag=smokingmeatforums-20

Just looking at your space I could see a combination of both making you area fully functional for almost all conditions.

PS..Edit, the Patio ones are just larger versions of the buddy heater.....I have many of these, including a wall mount one in my shop.
https://www.mrheater.com/product/heaters/buddy-series.html
I have one of the older type propane heaters, but they require three feet from the top of the heater to the ceiling, and our ceilings are not quite that high. I also want to avoid having to change and refill tanks. I'm looking at electrical infrared heaters I can install on the wall or ceiling, but the ones I'm looking at are three to five times less expensive that the ones you suggested. I know the inexpensive ones are probably not what I'm looking for, but I'm looking at ones under a thousand dollars, and hope they will be sufficient. But I'm also wanting ones that have more than one setting, as ones that would work in 30 degree weather might be too hot for 45 to 50 degree weather.

I'm confused about gas and electric infrared heaters. I understand electric heat objects in their line of site. Aren't the gas more like conventional heaters heating the air and objects close to them? One of the things I'm trying to decide, is which on is best for my situation. Thanks for your input.
Natural gas, LPG (propane) or electric heaters can be infrared (warm objects not the air) or space heaters (primarily warm air).
Unless you completely enclose your kitchen or seating areas Infrared is the better choice.
Gas powered will cost less in the long run
edit
Plumbing in a gas line is much cheaper than running wire to power electric units

Last edited:
Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Natural gas, LPG (propane) or electric heaters can be infrared (warm objects not the air) or space heaters (primarily warm air).
Unless you completely enclose your kitchen or seating areas Infrared is the better choice.
Gas powered will cost less in the long run
edit
Plumbing in a gas line is much cheaper than running wire to power electric units

This....You can get lower level NG ones from the ones I listed, those ones are commercial level units...for electric your probably running 220 to get the volume of heat you will need or you run NG line (probably a little more that copper) but running them will be less..... Choices choices.

When my buddy sells them, he looks at the space and desired results and develops a design for the buyer to have installed. Many venders will provide this service if you buy from them.

This....You can get lower level NG ones from the ones I listed, those ones are commercial level units...for electric your probably running 220 to get the volume of heat you will need or you run NG line (probably a little more that copper) but running them will be less..... Choices choices.

When my buddy sells them, he looks at the space and desired results and develops a design for the buyer to have installed. Many venders will provide this service if you buy from them.
I'm not a plumber or electrician, but if the walls of my outdoor kitchen already have electric service, wouldn't it be cheaper to have my electrician run a 220 line to them than to have gas plumbing run? I have a 500 gallon propane tank, and have plumbing run to my built-in gas grill, at the other end of the area.

I would say your best bet is have your electrician and your gas man come out and give you estimates. Then you would know for sure each way

Ryan

This! The 220 will need to be run from the service panel. Copper in our area is very $$ and short supply. The gas may be able to run from you build in BBQ if the incoming line is big enough. Gas line and copper about about the same price per foot so it comes down to installation time. It could be a wash for gas to be run vs the copper.

Depending on what heater you get the electric would be covered with just the power, the gas may also need a 120 line of power as well.

bigfoote, in my working life I was a purchasing agent. I bought and was warmed by some of the ceiling mounted gas fired infrared heaters from McMaster-Carr. They are a good company who sells good products at generally fair prices. I normally got next day shipping in central AR.

BTW, here's what large gas space heaters look like.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky