I won’t be doing that again (Scary)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Glad to hear that you got through it alright.

We've all done something that we learned after the fact not to ever do again!

I'd like to Thank Everyone for their concern:
This whole episode was my fault, due to my miscalculation.
I didn't realize there was that much difference between the amount of oxygen saturation needed to just sit relaxed, and the amount needed to just walk a short distance.
I have a Real good battery operated portable Concentrator "Inogen1 Gen #5" that I can use. However it comes in a canvas-like bag, with a shoulder strap that I can't wear, because the strap rests right on my problem blocked Carotid Arteries.

So when Gary mentioned a "Belt carrier" I looked it up, and found & ordered one.
If I'm not happy with that, we'll figure out a way to eliminate the shoulder strap & turn it into a small carrying handle, and I'll just carry it like a Lunch Box.
It only weighs about 6 pounds total.

There's all kinds of things I had to learn with this Oxygen thing. I had 50' of plastic tubing on the floor of my house to go from room to room, and it was always getting twisted & tangled just like monofilament gets when you're fishing without a swivel. So I got a brainstorm, and instead of using 2 sections of 25' with a swivel connector to make 50', I got 3 sections of 14' with 2 swivel connectors to make 42'. Now the oxygen tubing lays flat on the floor nearly all the time.

So Thanks again to all my Smoking Brothers!!

Bear

That’s too close of a call Bear, you take care of yourself! Your fam needs ya there and we need ya here on SMF! That new unit should be the answer! BTW, you don’t wanna upset a Mama Bear, I hear that can be bad news! 😉. So glad your ok!

Bear, Yikes ! Watch out you aren't 20 anymore ! If you were you have some oxygen tanks hooked up in your WEB gear !

That’s too close of a call Bear, you take care of yourself! Your fam needs ya there and we need ya here on SMF! That new unit should be the answer! BTW, you don’t wanna upset a Mama Bear, I hear that can be bad news! 😉. So glad your ok!
Thank You Justin!!
Yup, they can get pretty Grizzly!

Bear
Bear, Yikes ! Watch out you aren't 20 anymore ! If you were you have some oxygen tanks hooked up in your WEB gear !
Thank You CM !!
Yup, that's where most of my problems began.

Bear

I won’t be doing that again (Scary)

It’s about time to put the Bee traps up again, so there are 11 traps that have to go up.
Only one of them goes up without the use of a ladder, so Mrs Bear was going to put that one up.
So she goes out there with the trap, and she couldn’t find the Hanger screw where I told her it was.

I figured it must be there, so I wanted to go check for myself.
I didn’t know if I could go out there & back without dragging an oxygen line through the front door, so I did a little test.
I put my Oximeter on my finger to do a test.
It read 98% with the oxygen on.
I took it off & waited.
After 1 minute it was at 96%.
After 2 minutes it was 94%
Then 93%, 92%, 92%, 93%,94%, 93%, 92%, 93%. All in about 7 minutes total.
So I figure it will only take me about 3 minutes to go to there, find the screw, and come back, so What the Hey.

So Mrs Bear was busy on the computer, in the loft, so I removed my oxygen line, and I go over to the door, open it, go out & close the door.
Then I walk across the front porch, past my generator, 2 rocking chairs, right past where my Smoker used to be, and over to the end of the porch, behind the Weber Gas Grill.
The screw wasn’t there, like Mrs Bear said——Those guys who painted my house must have removed it & never put that one back in.

So now I only have to get back, so I start walking, Uh Oh, this doesn’t feel right—I know this feeling——It’s like being Drunk & staggering (Been There—Done That). I grabbed the railing, but it got worse.
I’m doing everything I can to stay upright, left the railing with the front door knob as my next target-Got it. Open door, holding onto the knob. Closed the door with both hands & a shoulder. Still holding the knob to keep me on my feet.
The closest place to sit was Mrs Bear’s chair, so that’s my next destination. (About 8’ away)
I let go of the door knob, and off I go——Then it was like somebody turned the lights off.
I went down, I think on one knee at first, but I’m not sure, but I know I hit my head on the floor. Everything else is cloudy, until I realized I was on the floor.
The oxygen tubing was laying right next to me, so I pulled it all the way from my chair, over past the coffee table, to me, and Stuck the Cannula in my nose.
Then I laid my head down on Mrs Bear’s chair awhile, because now I’m on my knees, until the Oxygen cleared my head enough to actually know what’s going on. I sat on her chair a couple minutes, before making it back to my own. I called Mrs Bear down & told her what just happened, at least the parts I could remember. She said, Now you know not to do that any more!!

I won’t be doing that any more. The way I figure it, When just sitting on my recliner, doing absolutely nothing physically, my Oxygen saturation can stay slightly above the danger area without any supplemental oxygen. But anything more than a 15’ or 20’ walk is too much to do without Oxygen.
Now I know!

So I'm Still Here!!

Bear
Glad you are ok.,next time take the O2 with ya.We don't want anything bad to happen to you.

HT

I agree with others...You step by step list is great. But, there is a lot of wisdom to be gleaned from that brain of yours. Dont be pushing the limits like that again. And thats coming from a 30 yr RN. Dont be making me get all mean nurse on ya.

Jim

Reactions: MJB05615
Glad you are ok.,next time take the O2 with ya.We don't want anything bad to happen to you.

HT
Thank You HT !!
I screwed up---I didn't think it would be a big deal, and I didn't want to close my O2 tubing in the Front door.
Like I said "I won't be doing that again".

Bear

Gee John,
I thought you were going to say the bee's got you or something like that.
Like said above, find or make some kind of a carrier for your next adventure. And stay on your feet when you are out of your chair

But seriously , bee careful

David

Woe there John pump the brakes
young man 😂
Your family at home and your virtual family need you around for a long time !

Keith

Reactions: bigfurmn
I agree with others...You step by step list is great. But, there is a lot of wisdom to be gleaned from that brain of yours. Dont be pushing the limits like that again. And thats coming from a 30 yr RN. Dont be making me get all mean nurse on ya.

Jim

Thank You for the kind words Jim!
I learned----I tested my O2 Saturation, sitting in my chair, without using oxygen.
I held my own, between 92% and 93% for 7 minutes. I had no idea a short walk of about 30' on a flat deck & back would cause it to plunge like that.
Now I do know!

John

Reactions: JLeonard
Hey Bear, I'm a bit late chiming in here but I gotta tell you, it scared the snot out of me reading your dialog. I knew you had to be alright because you posted about it but it was kinda like watching the ending of a scary movie for the second time: you know what's gonna happen but the tension level is still really high. glad you're ok though buddy.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky