I won’t be doing that again (Scary)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
I won’t be doing that again (Scary)

It’s about time to put the Bee traps up again, so there are 11 traps that have to go up.
Only one of them goes up without the use of a ladder, so Mrs Bear was going to put that one up.
So she goes out there with the trap, and she couldn’t find the Hanger screw where I told her it was.

I figured it must be there, so I wanted to go check for myself.
I didn’t know if I could go out there & back without dragging an oxygen line through the front door, so I did a little test.
I put my Oximeter on my finger to do a test.
It read 98% with the oxygen on.
I took it off & waited.
After 1 minute it was at 96%.
After 2 minutes it was 94%
Then 93%, 92%, 92%, 93%,94%, 93%, 92%, 93%. All in about 7 minutes total.
So I figure it will only take me about 3 minutes to go to there, find the screw, and come back, so What the Hey.

So Mrs Bear was busy on the computer, in the loft, so I removed my oxygen line, and I go over to the door, open it, go out & close the door.
Then I walk across the front porch, past my generator, 2 rocking chairs, right past where my Smoker used to be, and over to the end of the porch, behind the Weber Gas Grill.
The screw wasn’t there, like Mrs Bear said——Those guys who painted my house must have removed it & never put that one back in.

So now I only have to get back, so I start walking, Uh Oh, this doesn’t feel right—I know this feeling——It’s like being Drunk & staggering (Been There—Done That). I grabbed the railing, but it got worse.
I’m doing everything I can to stay upright, left the railing with the front door knob as my next target-Got it. Open door, holding onto the knob. Closed the door with both hands & a shoulder. Still holding the knob to keep me on my feet.
The closest place to sit was Mrs Bear’s chair, so that’s my next destination. (About 8’ away)
I let go of the door knob, and off I go——Then it was like somebody turned the lights off.
I went down, I think on one knee at first, but I’m not sure, but I know I hit my head on the floor. Everything else is cloudy, until I realized I was on the floor.
The oxygen tubing was laying right next to me, so I pulled it all the way from my chair, over past the coffee table, to me, and Stuck the Cannula in my nose.
Then I laid my head down on Mrs Bear’s chair awhile, because now I’m on my knees, until the Oxygen cleared my head enough to actually know what’s going on. I sat on her chair a couple minutes, before making it back to my own. I called Mrs Bear down & told her what just happened, at least the parts I could remember. She said, Now you know not to do that any more!!

I won’t be doing that any more. The way I figure it, When just sitting on my recliner, doing absolutely nothing physically, my Oxygen saturation can stay slightly above the danger area without any supplemental oxygen. But anything more than a 15’ or 20’ walk is too much to do without Oxygen.
Now I know!

So I'm Still Here!!

Bear

Yikes! Glad you’re safe. Take care of yourself, young man. So sorry you’re tethered to the O2 but I’m grateful it’s working for you. We need your wisdom and experience. Try and behave!

That's getting just a little too close for comfort, John. Real glad you made it.
I would suggest you rig up a belt carrier for a small oxygen tank. That way you're covered the next time you feel adventurous. After all, I'm not done learning from you. LOL.
Gary

Reactions: jcam222
Wow! That is scary Bear. Do they make a small compact bottle that you could carry easily for small excursions from the house like this? Something that could provide 30 minutes or less of O2?

Glad to hear your safe John. Next time listen to Mama bear.

Chris

WOA buddy. Glad you are ok. Sounds like you know what to do, and not too. Very happy this was not much worse. Be safe over there!

Yikes! Glad you’re safe. Take care of yourself, young man. So sorry you’re tethered to the O2 but I’m grateful it’s working for you. We need your wisdom and experience. Try and behave!
Thank You Sven!!
That's Very Kind of you!

Bear
That's getting just a little too close for comfort, John. Real glad you made it.
I would suggest you rig up a belt carrier for a small oxygen tank. That way you're covered the next time you feel adventurous. After all, I'm not done learning from you. LOL.
Gary
Thank You Gary!!
You just made me look for a Belt carrier for my Innogen G5 battery operated Concentrator, and I just ordered a Belt carrier 5 minutes ago.
I have a bag & Shoulder harness for it, but I can't wear it, because the strap lays right over my blocked Carotid Arteries.
For what I did today I could have just carried it in my hand, but I thought I could go that short time & distance without it. I guess I was wrong!!!
Thanks Buddy!

John

Glad you're OK Bear! Definitely don't need another one going!

Ryan

Sounds like a pretty scary ordeal John, great to see you made it thru that episode. Take mamas advice, and take it easy! RAY

Wow John! Glad you are OK. That's a really close call. Good to hear you immediately ordered a more portable add on to make sure this didn't happen again.

Bear, if that had been me, the oxygen deprivation would have been the least of my worries.

John , It's a good thing you stayed focused and didn't panic .
Not the same thing , but I got in an attic one time and got short on air . Then couldn't catch my breath .
Like I said , good thing you kept your stuff together .

John,
Thank goodness you didn't hit your head on anything when you went down.
Now, don't ever do anything like that again, please.

Stu

Hey John. Sure glad that you made it through the ordeal.

Sounds like a tough learning experience.

Stay well. Looking forward to years of input from you.

Wow to say the least.
I can imagine the lecture or at least the "look" from the Mrs.
If the belt carrier doesn't work maybe a luggage carrier would help to lug the generator for some strolling around on the deck.

Glad you are ok , sure could have been worse. That portable belt unit should help a lot next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky