I tried Tootsies mop recipe on back ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dive Bar Casanova

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 3, 2021
Came out good but nothin’ like the original does them at Snows. Bought a pack of mini mops off Amazon cheap.
I downsized the mop recipe but here’s the full
1 gallon version:
1gal water
2 white onions
1 stick butter
1/2 cup Worcestershire
2 tbls dry mustard.

Boil water and add quartered onions. Continue to boil for at least ten minutes. Add butter and stir until melted. Take water off heat and add all other ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Keep on stovetop at a low simmer or move it to the pit to keep it warm.

Mop the pork steaks liberally four or five times during the cook. Once the meat becomes tender and the fat begins to crisp on the edges, take it off the pit. This cut doesn’t have to be falling apart to be done. Let it rest for 30 minutes, then slice against the grain and serve.

0B152332-6509-429C-A0D8-1DF382D75139.jpeg
E8FD92B9-5D28-4CB0-9692-318BB38B2228.jpeg

Last edited:
225f 7hrs no wrap.
Juicy not dry is a plus to this method.
The reverse flow RedBox seems to dry the meat out even spraying.
Thinking of a Trager.

I just did a rack of stl’s 2 days ago & ran my Lang hot 325-350. Mopped the ribs every half hour. They were done in 3 1/2 hours and my wife Judy said they were the best ribs I ever made. So i guess I will be doing them that way from now on!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky