I tried another recipe from Jeff

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vaalpens

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2019
Southeast, WA
A week ago we went shopping at Costco and they had some pork tenderloins. The price was below $20 for 2 bags of 2 tenderloins. Last weekend I was looking for a recipe since this was my first pork tenderloin on the pellet grill/smoker. My first stop was https://www.smoking-meat.com/ and the https://www.smoking-meat.com/august-17-2017-smoked-maple-barbecue-pork-tenderloins peaked my interest. So i decided to try it out on my GMG grill. I followed Jeff's recipe very closely except for that I only smoked one tenderloin. I also wrapped it with plastic wrap after I applied Jeff's original rub. Probably left it in the fridge for about 6 hours. I also glazed it 3 times, instead of the recommended 2.

The recipe is very simple and easy to follow. I removed the tenderloin at 145F, and the result was a tasty, moist, tender, tenderloin.
IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

Looks great.
Ive wondered about trying burnt ends from loin, but guessing might be too lean ... still maybe worth a try.

Looks declious!! Those looks usually are nice and juicy if you serve at 145F. That madecall the difference in the world when I learned the safe serving temp had been reduced. Prior to thst I quit doing them because they were always so dry.

I sous vide Pork loin at 140

USDA has lowered their recommendation from 160 to 145.
BUT bacterial kill is both temp AND time.
For example, chicken is still listed at 165 for lean white meat (where bacteria die instantly).
But achieve equivalent bacteria kill if you can hold 155 for 3 minutes or 145 for 10 minutes.

So since I cook LONG in sous vide I believe I can cheat pork loin down in the 140 range, but if I was just smoking or oven short duration I’d stay with 145 - especially if it’s ‘enhanced’ or injected.

Looks awesome!!
Al

Thanks! I should probably work on taking better pictures to show exactly what I see.

Looks great.
Ive wondered about trying burnt ends from loin, but guessing might be too lean ... still maybe worth a try.

Not sure about a loin burnt ends. A loin tend to get tough if over cooked, so maybe the burnt ends will be a stretch. It is worth a try.

Looks like you nailed it!

It really came out very good. Next time maybe I will make some extra glaze so I have some left to put on the sliced tenderloin.

Looks declious!! Those looks usually are nice and juicy if you serve at 145F. That madecall the difference in the world when I learned the safe serving temp had been reduced. Prior to thst I quit doing them because they were always so dry.

The tenderloin should still be tender over 145, but it will lose it's juiciness. I have 3 of these tenderloins left, so i will probably do some experimenting, but will probably stick to 145F.

Looks real good from where I'm sittin'! RAY

Thanks!

Definitely don't do a loin above 150, I agree with jcam222 jcam222 , overtemp is what kills most peoples' pork loin.

I sous vide Pork loin at 140

USDA has lowered their recommendation from 160 to 145.
BUT bacterial kill is both temp AND time.
For example, chicken is still listed at 165 for lean white meat (where bacteria die instantly).
But achieve equivalent bacteria kill if you can hold 155 for 3 minutes or 145 for 10 minutes.

So since I cook LONG in sous vide I believe I can cheat pork loin down in the 140 range, but if I was just smoking or oven short duration I’d stay with 145 - especially if it’s ‘enhanced’ or injected.

It will be tough to hold 140 for a period of time on the grill, so I will just stick to the 145F recommendation. My wife likes meat well done, but she has no complaints about a tenderloin being done at 145F.

I love me some tenderloins. Looks delicious

Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky