I seriously suck at fire management. Someone please give me some tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Very nice rig. Others will be able to give you the exact measurements on this but just from looking at it, it seems that the hole from firebox to cook chamber is quite a bit too small and that will definitely affect the draw and how wood burns.

Here’s the size of mine and mine draws perfectly.
I had some grating and had a guy tack some expanded metal to it. Let’s the ash fall through but allows a coal bed to form.
also, get a weed burner, will get your fire going in 5 min and you don’t have to buy charcoal. You can also make a couple passes through your cool chamber to get it up too!

Attachments

• FA9906FC-EA03-4752-9291-0F94640C1D57.jpeg
    FA9906FC-EA03-4752-9291-0F94640C1D57.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 17
  • 6B89269C-50DA-4455-8EE0-A678D9E57DA0.jpeg
    6B89269C-50DA-4455-8EE0-A678D9E57DA0.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: bighoof
Looks good yeah I have weed burner it worked good...Washington state post oak and hickory are expensive I should probably stick to cooking woods to just start it up?

I would bring it down another inch the entire way around the bottom. Will help with the air flow for sure.
I guess you use whatever is cheaper to get your fire going. I have an abundance of free wood (which I know is a blessing). Actually got a free half cord of post oak that is dry this morning. Gave the guy 2lbs of sausage. Good deal to me!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky