I ran out of hog casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RhoneRanger

Original poster
Dec 1, 2018
Good day!

So I ground up a bunch of venison and made an excellent sausage, and I have about 3 lbs of meat left because I did not get enough casings. What is the best route as the meat will soon be too hard to stuff.

Can I keep the meat in the fridge overnight until I get more casings? Will freezing the meat stop the curing? What else can I do with this?

Thank you!

Keep overnight will be fine, or just use the 3# as seasoned burger for taco,chili, fatty etc

Thank you so much Winterrider! I am new here, and have been perusing this forum for over 2 hours now. What great experience and knowledge!

I love cooking and smoking, currently all I have though is a water / wood chip smoker and want to move up in the world :) It serves its purpose, but its not quite the same to me.

I did think about that, vacuum seal 1# packages for tacos or spaghetti or something, but I really wanted to keep the brats as I am dividing amongst the hunting partners.

That looks awesome WaterinHoleBrew! I will definitely try that next round.

Ya I did. I went to the butcher, said I need about 15', the butcher said "You were just here..." I said I know, so he went in the back, came out, and said "here, don't run out again" and GAVE me about 100' . No charge. I got the mix cold, it was kinda stiff so I loosened with water. It was quite difficult and did not really want to go through the stuffer (it was closer to 5 lbs), but I finished it off. Thank you all for your help!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky