I quit smoking!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hubs and I quit in cigs 2008...we were both over 2 packs a day and opted to use ecigs to bridge the gap then completely quit a couple of years later.

Congrats! It's a HUGE accomplishment!

I've been smoke free for 12 years now, I can't stand the smell of it anymore and have ZERO tolerance for those that do!! Sad thing is I have great neighbors next door, but they both smoke like a chimney.

Great to hear this kind of stories from people who were actually able to quit smoking.
I've quit twice....sort of. Never smoked cigarettes, but I dipped Kodiak Long Cut Straight for 20+ years. On the way to work one day I decided I was finished with it. Rolled down the window and threw the can out. Didn't touch tobacco for probably 10 years and then picked up a cigar habit. Smoked them for probably 15+ years. Quit them the same way. Just decided one day that I was done with them and haven't looked back. That was last year and I'm done with tobacco for good now.....

3 weeks ago, I quit smoking cigarettes. My wife got me a shirt since I quit and I love it... Just excited to share my shirt!

CRYSTAL PRO MAX

Hi. I am 29 days smoke free today after 30 years smoking on February 15th.. My quit day was 3 days before my 44th bday. Took me a couple days to register on here because I didn't think it would be helpful, but I chose to after reading all the helpful resources. My method of quitting was I went cold turkey. I see alot of posts of people saying they feel the same way I do at this point, however, it is very frustrating. The longest I have ever went without smoking was 67 days and when I started smoking again, it increased. I am tired, irritable, achy, walking around in a fog, gained weight. My first week of my quit, I felt way better than this. From week 2 on, this is how I feel. I habe no desire to go back to smoking(which is great, however, I can not stand this feeling anymore.) I walked everywhere before I quit and now I have to psyche myself up to walk because I feel like crap amd that makes me depressed because I could walk any where(and I did) and it didn't bother me. I'd walk an hour across town and back. I get texts from the helpline which I look forward to, but nothing matches how I am feeling. I don't have more energy I have less. My chest doesn't feel lighter it feels heavier and tighter. I am not usually a complainer for things and I find myself doing it constantly. I try looking for the benefits of quitting smoking, but I don't feel any of them yet. "Give it 3 months" everything says, but holy! I apologize LOL. As you can see today is one of my miserable times. This is my first time posting on a forum of any kind, but I had to because at times it feels like I am going to lose my mind because I feel more negatives with this than positives. Thanks for letting me vent. I figured it is better venting here than outloud to the poor smokers and non smokers who don't deserve it. Since October 2016 I have lost my dads gf at 49 then my dad got sick right away and I lost him 4 days after his 59th bday (8 months after his gf)and then a good friend of mine had a heart attack 1.5 months later after my dad passed and then passed away 1 month later 2 days before heart surgery and was trying to help my 14 year old son deal with it all while entering his first year of high school. And dealing with all of that seemed somehow easier than how I feel right now 29 days in. How can that be? But then I was thinking about it, I had my cigarettes there to comfort me during those heart wrenching things.. I don't have that now because I said goodbye to them and I try different things, but still feel like garbage.

As a former smoker I know this is a HUGE accomplishment; congratulations.
I quit almost 30 years ago after a 2 pack habit, thanks to my wife buying me some nicotine patches; I wore those things like belts for a while. Never looked back, and couldn't be happier. I don't even think about them any more.

Reactions: MJB05615
Nicorette gum may be your huckleberry, just a little something to take the edge off. Need to keep active and continue the walks. Your respiratory system needs the exercise . Hang in there, this will be one of the great achievements of your life.

I quit on August 31, 1998 at 9 am in the morning.

I never thought about whether I should feel better. I'd just buried my Dad who died of cancer that was nicotine related. That was enough to scare my stubborn arss into believing I was not immortal.

Thank god I was able to quit.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Gettin close to being 3yr quit for me. My last cigarette was 3/5/21 right before my wife took me to the ER for a stroke. Luckily if was very mild.
I started back smoking on the weekend of the 4th but it was on my grills. LoL That's what brought me here. The local butchers now get my money now instead of R J Reynolds.
@ P paulgeorge Stay with it! Wish I could say the want to smoke goes away but I'm not there yet.

If I could quit tobacco cold turkey, anyone can. After 29 days, you are well beyond the physical addiction of nicotine, the mental part can take quite a bit longer. Habits, such as reaching for the pack(can in my case) after a meal, when you first wake up, cooking on the grill, etc., are hard to change, but can be. Stay the course and don't give up the fight, it's a life long change for the better...

Congrats!! Not an easy task. I quit hundreds of times before I finally was able to give em up for good 30 years ago. Like otheres have said the mental part is the hardest. I can still drive down the street and smell somebody smoking a cigarette and tell if it's a generic or a name brand and wish I could have one

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky