I need some professional help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
I need some insight from people that cook for a living?

I was elected to cook eye of round for Christmas eve. I recently did one using a high heat method that turned out great.
Basically cook @ 475 for 7 minutes per pound then turn off the oven and let the roast sit for 2.5 hours without opening the door.

So my problem is, The one I did previously was 3 lbs., If I was to do three or four 3 pounders what do I change time wise? Or do I?
My first thought was, if I have 10 pounds of meat @7min a pound, I think it might be a little crusty on the outside.
Or would I take the average weight of the pieces and use that for figuring the high heat time?
Would the extra mass throw off the cooking time?
Thanks and any suggestions are welcomed

Last edited:
I wouldn't think you would need to change any thing, as long as they are about the same size that small amount shouldn't change much, here is where a good set of inkbird therms will be your best friend , a 4-6 probe set for a early Christmas present sounds needed lol

a 4-6 probe set for a early Christmas present sounds needed lol
I got both so at least I got that covered!
I might do a test run this week just to record the time and temperatures so I got something to compare too when I do the multiple meats

I agree with the answers you've already gotten. Base you time esimates on the average size of the individual roasts and just be sure that there;'s enough space around each one for them to cook evenly. Perhaps rotating their positioning and the pan part way through might be in order but not strictly necessary.

Personally, since eye of round is pretty lean and is subject to sometimes being dry I usually cook it low and slow at 250-275F until it gets to around 125F and pull it to rest before slicing it thinly across the grain. That ensures not cooking any more of the moisture out of it than absolutely necessary. I generally don't look for a crust of any kind on cuts as lean as eye of round.

Best regards to all,

Reactions: DanMcG
Dan, same as Smoking Sausage. 1 3lb ring or 10 3lb rings, except for recovery, they take about the same time. Your 475 oven recovers much faster than a smoker. The Therms will let you fine tune the IT. Look for similar sized eye rounds...JJ

Reactions: JC in GB and DanMcG
Thanks everyone for the responses, but I got one more question for ya.
If at the end of the cook it's not up to the temp I was looking for, how would you bring it up to temp quickly since dinner is about ready to serve.
It will have a probe in one so I'll have some time to do something. but do I blast it at 475 again, or just 300-350? or something else?

Low and Slow is the key to reheating without over cooking. Blast it and the meat will be mostly well done with a Pink Bullseye. No Fast way to keep your desired IT. Can you heat to 130 and hold it there while traveling?...JJ

cooking on site JJ. since it's only heated for a short time and then left in the oven with the heat off, my concern is that if it's not looking like it will end up at say, 130, I want to warm it up to get to the proper temp at the original finish time. I hope that makes sense.

When someone didn't like rare-rare prime rib, 10-15 seconds in the micro wave, on high, solved the problem... One must remember.... 1. The meat is already warm... 2. You are only trying to raise the temp of the meat 10-20 deg..... which doesn't take much time at all...

Ok, now I get it. If your final IT is 130, and the oven temp has dropped below 130, but the meat is 110, set the oven to 150 or there about, and let it finish. Going higher than 180-200 will cause Carryover to overshoot the desired 130...JJ

Thank you gentlemen, I think I got the worst case scenarios covered now. I'll report back Wednesday.
Merry Christmas!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky