I need a good thin BBQ sauce recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This is an excellent basting sauce for chicken, beef or pork.  It contains no sugar so it doesn't burn easy.  It is best applied with a mop type brush.  I also put some in a shaker bottle to use at the table.

6 ounces French's Prepared Yellow Mustard
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 teaspoons salt
1 (1 1/4-ounce) can chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
water

Add all ingredients to a Quart Mason Jar.  Fill the rest of the jar with water.  Place lid on jar and shake well to ensure good mix.  Let stand at least 24 hours before using.

Last edited:
I'm lazy when it comes to sauce making.  I just take standard off the shelf bbq sauce and thin it out with apple cider or red wine  vinegar.  The favorite combo at my house is Sonny's sweet cut with red wine vinegar. 

Why not just thin out Jeff's sauce a little. When I smoke pork butts, I catch the juice, then de-fat it & mix it with Jeff's and toss the PP with it. It's very good.

when in doubt...

28oz. Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ Sauce
12oz. Cherry Dr. Pepper
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar

Mix ingredients in sauce pan, bring to a simmer, funnel into hand-dandy $.99 condiment dispenser...apply to taste, repeat as needed. :cool:

Don't recall where I found that recipe (sort of)...most likely one of the many websites I poke around at. Yes, it's cheating 'cause it's not original, blah, blah, whatever...it's quick and damn tasty! :icon_biggrin:

2 parts Sweet Baby Rays Original BBQ sauce

1 part cider vinegar

1 part apple juice or beer

brown sugar or mollasas to taste.

This makes an awesome thin tangy sauce that you can adjust for your flavor and it's super easy.

Ingredients

* 1/2 onion, minced
    * 4 cloves garlic, minced
    * 3/4 cup bourbon whiskey
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/2 tablespoon salt
    * 2 cups ketchup
    * 1/4 cup tomato paste
    * 1/3 cup cider vinegar
    * 2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
    * 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    * 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    * 1/3 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste

Directions

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic, and whiskey. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Mix in the ground black pepper, salt, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce.
   2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Run sauce through a strainer if you prefer a smooth sauce.

Reactions: o0infidel0o
Ingredients

* 1/2 onion, minced
    * 1/2 tablespoon salt
    * 2 cups ketchup
    * 1/4 cup tomato paste
    * 1/3 cup cider vinegar

Directions

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic, and whiskey. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Mix in the ground black pepper, salt, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce.
   2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Run sauce through a strainer if you prefer a smooth sauce.

I like that ingredient list, may have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing tyo!

You guys are giving me to many ideas to try. They all sound good but o0Infidel0o your sweet baby and cherry dr pepper i have to try. Thanks for sharing.

And I thought I had a good one, well anyway, lotsa fine people chipped in with some I'd like to try. I have a finishing sauce straight from Texas which works on anything, you can apply it thin or cook it down thicker if you'd like. PM me if anyone is interested, I live by it. Rock on.

[quote name="tyotrain" url="/forum/thread/103671/i-need-a-good-thin-bbq-sauce-recipe#post_598960"]
Ingredients

* 1/2 onion, minced
    * 1/2 tablespoon salt
    * 2 cups ketchup
    * 1/4 cup tomato paste
    * 1/3 cup cider vinegar

Directions

[/quote]

I thought this recipe looked tasty. Picked up all the ingredients and will be trying it out on a butt this weekend. Thumbs Up

tyotrain,
I tried your BBQ sauce on some chicken and a couple pork butts, with a couple modifications, this past weekend. It was damn tasty and even better the next day. Everyone at work enjoyed it...even the kiddies enjoyed it! Thanks for posting the recipe! :drool

tyotrain,
I tried your BBQ sauce on some chicken and a couple pork butts, with a couple modifications, this past weekend. It was damn tasty and even better the next day. Everyone at work enjoyed it...even the kiddies enjoyed it! Thanks for posting the recipe!
drool.gif
you are welcome o0lmfidel0o happy you all liked it.. Happy smoking

Ingredients

* 1/2 onion, minced
    * 1/2 tablespoon salt
    * 2 cups ketchup
    * 1/4 cup tomato paste
    * 1/3 cup cider vinegar

Directions

This is wonderful Made it this weekend! Thanks for the recipe.

So I made this again because its awesome.  I used Tabasco for the hot pepper sauce, but this time I took half of the BBQ sauce and added cayenne pepper to it to spice it up a bit more for some friends who enjoy spicier sauces.  I must say the cayenne made a great addition if you like a little spicier version it worth a try.

Again thanks for the recipe!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky