I must be nuts! first smoke , Ribs, Fattie, & ABT's...Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

john442

Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
The Cold Canadian North
Woke up yesterday to an inch of snow and 30 degree temps. I thought this is stupid for Mid april (and why do i live here??), but the ribs have been resting in Jeffs rub overnite......So I said WTF!!.......Lets smoke. Got my smoker last fall and only used it twice with not the greatest results, and because of finding this forum, I know it was because i was trusting the factory thermometer. Much has been learned over the last few months by reading all the great info on this site.

53a7430b_7b727790.jpg

fd4a1f3e_1153b53f.jpg

Actually had to shovel a path on the deck through the snow.

Fire Up the Landmann and bring it up to 225 steady, after putting in a freshly boil tested digital thermometer, I found out that the factory one on the door is out 60-70 degrees(never trust these) That would explain why nothing turned out last fall. It was reading 225 and was probably only at 160-170. Barely got smoke and nothing turned out right.

02c246f5_e1397778.jpg

79940820_a5ede10f.jpg

Ribs go in for the first leg of the 3-2-1 method. with some apple wood.

also sprayed them with apply juice every hour.

33297de7_716dc097.jpg

Time to make my first attempt at a Fattie, All our stores had was "Maple Leaf Pure Pork Sausage" 1lb chubs. Looks too white/pale compared to the other fatties i have seen rolled.Stuffed with sauted spinache and provalone.

9310b2f1_1a9f96ff.jpg

390704cd_47f0b97e.jpg

First ever weave attempt....not too hard.

00fa09f8_330d17e0.jpg

bdbab341_ad7b5f72.jpg

Ribs get foiled with some apple juice and the Fattie goes on.

18f53eb9_c0af5fc1.jpg

Time to try this ABT thing, Some cream cheese, jeffs rub, green onions, crumbled bacon, worchester sauce, and cheddar. All wrapped up in a blanket of bacon.

a26ae3fb_7c8a1bfd.jpg

Here are the finished products........mmmmmm

The ABT's were done in about 1.5 hrs, We tried these first, and they sure has a strong smoke flavor, almost overpowering the first bite, like tasting a campfire. Is this normal? the bacon really soakes up the smoke i guess. I might try less smoke next time.?

I really like these! need to experiment some more.

6535a073_00b3326f.jpg

2cb01c0e_76bc8d18.jpg

Good flavor. Everybody liked it, but I have to find some diff sausage to try.

8540c2d9_fbd01a81.jpg

Ribs did sure didnt last long, barely got a pic before they were all snapped up.

0728272f_0602b081.jpg

Finished with Jeffs sauce mixed with 25% honey(carmelizes nicely) , everybody raved about the taste!

Served it all up with some baked potatoes and some corn on the cob with chili-lime butter.

Everything got devoured in record time.

1e7edb96_e09f050b.jpg

Thats my first smoke of the year,,,,,in the snow!

Thanks to all the good info on this site , everything went off without any problems and my guests loved everything.

I'm hooked now on fatties and Abt's

PS. Just ordered a new Maverick ET-732 (cant wait)

John

Man, that is a nice result for your 3rd attempt!  That bacon does soak up the smoke on the ABT's.  I just lay a partial strip on top of my ABT's to cap off the fillings.  Keep up the good work!! 
yahoo.gif

Nice job on the grub. Looks great......You can have the snow..... Anything below 60 degrees is freekin freezing to me!!!!!!!!!!! Dont forget to fill out your profile and thanks for the qveiw

I usually dont smoke abt's for that long. That could be the reason for the overpowering smoke flavor. Otherwise very nice smoke. The ribs  LOOKED delicuos

Great job John, Everything looks delicious. You certainly made a great improvement over your last smoke. I put my ABT's in an aluminum pan. It keeps them from getting too smoky, and if the cheese melts out a little it keeps the mess contained. The sausage most of us use is Jimmy Dean. It comes in a 1 lb. package & is perfect for rolling out in a 1 gallon zip lock bag.There are several varieties, I like the hot one.

Looking good.

What's all that white stuff??

I use homemade bacon and sausage on my ABTs and fatties...

Craig

Everything looks GREAT, John!

Even the meat you left on the bones looks tasty!

You really should put where you're from.

I saw that fresh snow, and had to go look up your first post, to find out you're from Canada.

Bear

looks like we have the same smoker....i love mine. i agree with ya on the temp issue though....i recently got frustrated with mine and gave the thermometer a good flick or two, and it jumped about 20 degrees...hahaha.  but, i caught this right off anyway....ive always used a seperate thermometer. but, last weekend....it broke somehow....so, that led to the frustration.

think youve helped me decide on my menu for weekend....my first fattie and ribs

I dont really know? I assume its fat. I know pork fat rules, but thats rediculous.

It left  a layer of grease in the drip pan.Gonna try and find some diff sausage somewhere.

Any other canadians on here with a shopping tip? I have never seen the Jimmy Dean brand up here.

Thanks guys for the input, Gonna smoke again this weekend. Maybe time to get my hands on a Butt....so to speak.lol

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky