I made a rib hanger with the charcoal ring from my WSM18

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EdP

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I converted it to propane a few seasons ago, so the ring has sat in a shed.

At this point, I plan to break that seam in the ring.

5B8C8115-AA35-4479-B032-C252FABCC7EB.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
I've got another idea that may work. Will the charcoal ring sit on the cooking grate supports, and if so.... how much head room will you have to the top rim of the cooker (body)?

EDIT - I forgot to post the Hunsaker LINK to their WSM hanging rack, which is a good deal, but my idea might only be about $10.

Last edited:
I've got another idea that may work. Will the charcoal ring sit on the cooking grate supports, and if so.... how much head room will you have to the top rim of the cooker (body)?

The ring is too small, but maybe some type of hook to set it on the lower grate support would be high enough to hang ribs.

Darn it, I was thinking if it fit the supports, you could run two rods from hole-to-hole (maybe with a 90° bend in each end) and use those to hang your food from.

You really need to get some rise above the grate supports (like the Hunsaker mod) because you have to account for the length of the hook. Here is the rack I made for my drum, the bottom of the rack is sitting on the grate supports, and the rise is about 6" to the top of the rack, which is just about equal to the length of the hook. Meaning the top of my meats is about equal to the grate height.
IJGQTSU.jpg

Are you willing to drill 3 holes at 120° to each other, just below the grate supports and put longer bolts in so the charcoal ring can sit on them?

Are you willing to drill 3 holes at 120° to each other, just below the grate supports and put longer bolts in so the charcoal ring can sit on them?

Good idea, I'll look at this.

I can come up with a bar and hooks for it.

yankee2bbq yankee2bbq Justin made one for his WSM. I don't think there's a build thread, but I'm sure he'd help you out.

Here's the thread showing it:

Chris

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I'm always down for tinkering and making something happen :D
Question though, have you smoked may ribs as they sit vertically, either hanging like the hook image or turned horizontal but sitting vertical?

I ask because my ribs always come out black in color when I do them sitting vertical vs laying down flat.
When I lay them down they come out mahogony color. Its the funnyiest thing.

They both taste well but since we eat with our eyes first and I do think there is a flavor difference... I find I enjoy the mahogony ribs more when they cook laying down flat.

Anyhow, it's just a funny anomaly and I was just curious if you had encountered the same thing :)

The ring is too small, but maybe some type of hook to set it on the lower grate support would be high enough to hang ribs.
I really don’t think it will high enough. You really need it on the top grate. The ring idea is kinda cool! It would work! Just needs to be on that top grate!

yankee2bbq yankee2bbq Justin made one for his WSM. I don't think there's a build thread, but I'm sure he'd help you out.

Here's the thread showing it:

Nice accessory. Do you have a ring roller for the rebar, or did you do that by hand?

Chris
I'm always down for tinkering and making something happen :D
Question though, have you smoked may ribs as they sit vertically, either hanging like the hook image or turned horizontal but sitting vertical?

I ask because my ribs always come out black in color when I do them sitting vertical vs laying down flat.
When I lay them down they come out mahogony color. Its the funnyiest thing.

They both taste well but since we eat with our eyes first and I do think there is a flavor difference... I find I enjoy the mahogony ribs more when they cook laying down flat.

Anyhow, it's just a funny anomaly and I was just curious if you had encountered the same thing :)
Hmmm, that's funny or odd. I did some hanging ribs last night (more photos coming in a new thread) but how could the orientation have an effect on color? This is 4 hours in, just before the wrap step.
Ewp6dt1.jpg

Hmmm, that's funny or odd. I did some hanging ribs last night (more photos coming in a new thread) but how could the orientation have an effect on color? This is 4 hours in, just before the wrap step.
Ewp6dt1.jpg

I have no idea on the orientation and the color change. My only thought with ribs is that maybe as the smoke rises it hits the flat side the entire time when the ribs are vertical vs having to swirl and just kiss the ribs when they are horizontal.
It happens every time I do ribs vertically in my MES and I gave up on wondering why. Again they both tasted well but I prefer the horizontal ones that are mahogany much more.

It seems fairly stable, I might be able to use a piece of wire to secure it from tilting

28190A18-2183-4FFF-9B60-281505027F81.jpeg
9FC74070-3DCD-4EC3-AA5D-92964A174BF2.jpeg

97598B05-F9F3-43EC-A37C-4F85966236D0.jpeg
080C4805-7594-4AAE-B919-BA5F7C241FC9.jpeg
AE89DE16-105A-4B14-B2CC-1C0C4978128B.jpeg
ECB28372-BCE5-4B37-A3AF-EA5721F716D1.jpeg

I used a tank retainer wire from an old gas grill, I can shore it up more with some wire, but it seems workable.

there’s a terra-cotta bowl in the water bowl and the ends of the ring fit nicely.

Reactions: tallbm
Trust me, an ax head takes some gentle heat, and a lot of garlic. Hehehheee.
I think you are on the right track. Quite a while ago I made a sausage rack for my Big Green Egg, with no welding, only alligator clips for the connection points. So, anything is possible.

WsxuRAW.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky