HANG’ EM HIGH RIBS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 7, 2017
Northern Arkansas-Banjo Land
I like to keep things simple. Started with a rack of spare ribs. Left the membrane ON. Cut the spare rib in half. SPOG. That’s it. Spritzed with a mixer of apple cider vinegar and apple juice ever hour. Last 1.5 hr. Mopped with a store bought bbq sauce with a candied jalapeños syrup added. Smoked using cherry and post oak chunks on the WSM. Smoked for 6 hours at 240-250 degrees. Pulled at IT 195. Turned out real good. Great flavor. Found a new way to smoke my ribs!
A0AFCA6D-C1D7-47C0-B096-F81A86D84CE5.jpeg

461F304D-C6F8-4B9C-82D8-5E3D2D53B650.jpeg

5ECE2753-18F3-46C9-889F-464F560B6C5D.jpeg

C8B27087-E111-461D-8910-7D8B1B57A657.jpeg

1CC173C0-4F56-44E9-9EC0-AAEB77F8E3AC.jpeg

C0EEFCDB-CE7B-4018-A20E-FBAF6723CA56.jpeg

13C2E4B0-247F-4E7F-B82E-7734285B6E01.jpeg

Awesome! There is a magic thing that happens when smoked in the heat column! Cherry is my fav wood to smoke with!

PS since you are all over the this new style of cooking......I could ship you out a X-Fire to use......you just need to pay for the shipping.....lol

Edit...and have a supply of those ribs for the delivery driver...

These look really nice. I’d be interested to hear more about the rack you built.

Can you still fit the top lid on over the rack? Do you have to be careful of letting things cook too much in case something gets tender and drops off a hook into the fire?

I often use my WSM to cook direct over the coals from top rack when I do a big mess of jerk chicken, I find the texture and colour get just right when you have a cool fire and just let it sit for an hour or 3 up high like that and the smell is unreal when you get drips of fat/seasonings over the coals/wood.

Damned Nice!
Enuff said.
Like!
Thanks bud! Appreciate it!
Nice piece of work, REAL nice! Like. RAY
Thank you sir!
Looks great . Love the color .
Thank you! Appreciate it!
Awesome! There is a magic thing that happens when smoked in the heat column! Cherry is my fav wood to smoke with!

PS since you are all over the this new style of cooking......I could ship you out a X-Fire to use......you just need to pay for the shipping.....lol

Edit...and have a supply of those ribs for the delivery driver...
Cherry is one of my favorites too. And deal. I would love to try out the X-Fire!
Man, They look good and tender. Bet they were tasty!
Thank you! And they were just right!
Right? First thought I had as well was WOW it’s all smoke ring. They look straight amazing!
Thank you! The color on there’s ribs were amazing!
Damn good looking spare ribs. I love the method. Now rebar is on my list.
Thank you sir! It was an easy build! You An do it!
Mighty fine looking ribs there my friend!!
Al
Thank you Al! Appreciate the kind words!
Great looking ribs I like that rack you made. Points
Richie
Thanks Richie, my best mod yet for the WSM!
These look really nice. I’d be interested to hear more about the rack you built.

Can you still fit the top lid on over the rack? Do you have to be careful of letting things cook too much in case something gets tender and drops off a hook into the fire?

I often use my WSM to cook direct over the coals from top rack when I do a big mess of jerk chicken, I find the texture and colour get just right when you have a cool fire and just let it sit for an hour or 3 up high like that and the smell is unreal when you get drips of fat/seasonings over the coals/wood.
Thanks! Yeap, I can close the top lid. And yes, if you let the ribs get too tender they will fall off and land in a hot bed of coals! I guess you could use the lower rack to ketch the ribs if they fall. However, my IT temp was 195ish. So, just right!

Reactions: civilsmoker
Well pilgrim, the boys at the chuck wagon will be eating well tonight. Way to go Justin nice and juicy.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: yankee2bbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky