I joined here specifically to master smoked brisket and I’m 0-3 (.000) so far, attempt 4 starts tonight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EdP

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
FB418648-9B0A-49D0-8004-E7DD1181E1F7.jpeg

Reactions: kruizer
What smoker are you using and what is your plan of attack

Reactions: Mr. Zorg
4.98 a pound for prime brisket? Wow, at least you’re on the low end of cost. Last I looked in my area it was closer to 8 a pound. Good luck!

• Wow
Reactions: Displaced Texan
I have a wsm18 converted to propane, I’m using mesquite and ran it at 230 all night.

My previous failures were hot and fast attempts (275+), and I likely removed too much fat on the last one, which immediately became chili.

Haven’t done an overnight cook in quite a while, didn’t want to get up at night if the temp alarm went off, but last night was no wind.

It’s @155 it this morning.
414BD386-3599-45CD-9274-E36B2D285DD0.jpeg
05FF9DED-F195-4BFD-BA3C-4872F7ED3EFA.jpeg

Looks good so far. Keep us updated. Are you gonna wrap it at some time? Or no Wrapping?
Can you tell us what happened on the previous ones?

Looks good so far. Keep us updated. Are you gonna wrap it at some time? Or no Wrapping?
Can you tell us what happened on the previous ones?

I’m wrapping it, not sure if I’ll use paper or foil.

It hit 160, bark looks good so I wrapped with paper

You still haven't mentioned what went wrong with the previous ones.
When are you pulling them off the smoker? How are you holding them before serving?

You still haven't mentioned what went wrong with the previous ones.
When are you pulling them off the smoker? How are you holding them before serving?

I wanted to be able to start one in the morning and serve that night, so I’ve done the hot and fast versions, all 275+

you must need to leave a lot more fat on than cooking low and slow, so each one was burned on the bottom or the ends and crumbly in parts.

I’m reluctant to run the smoker overnight, the flame can go out if it gets windy, but this weather is perfect

I wanted to be able to start one in the morning and serve that night, so I’ve done the hot and fast versions, all 275+

you must need to leave a lot more fat on than cooking low and slow, so each one was burned on the bottom or the ends and crumbly in parts.

I’m reluctant to run the smoker overnight, the flame can go out if it gets windy, but this weather is perfect
Brisket is a smoke that takes a lot of prep and understanding. Trimming is really a thing but most think about trimming the fat. For the most part as long as you remove the deckle fat you can basically leave the rest. Rarely do I see a brisket with over 1inch of fat all over so as long as it isn't much over 1/2-3/4 inch I don't even fool with the fat much... besides the deckle fat on the bottom.

NOW, the most important trimming aspect to me is to cut away the thin flat meat and other meat that will burn up over the long smoke and to reuse that good meat for something else. You are finding that the ends (they are thinner) get burned up or are crumbly etc.
I talk about this trimming approach here:
full-png.png

Check out that post and itt should help you with a few things when it comes to great brisket prep and cooking. I cook at least 1 a month and often 2 every other month :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky