I gave in and took my wife to see Top Gun last Wed night at a prescreening that a friend hooked me up with.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
Tom Cruise makes my skin crawl to say the least, and the story line was as ridiculous as expected. But the cinematography saved the day. In my opinion, this movie is perfect for viewing in an IMAX, big screen movie house. I wouldn't of lasted 15 minutes if I was streaming it to my home TV, even with my pretty dang good OLED TV and respectable Dolby Atmos surround system. If you plan on watching this movie, I highly recommend that you seek out the best movie house in your area, IMAX would be your best bet, don't wait until you can stream it into your home, this is a big screen movie all the way.

Your mileage may vary.
Dan.

Thanks for your review Dan. I heard rave reviews from several people, just yesterday. I haven't been in any movie house in 10 years.

More and more it seems that movies are being written as vehicles for special effects.

I watch a lot of TCM on a decent TV.

Saw the trailer on line. Lesa (the wifer) said that we would see that one in the theater. And I agree....Cruise is one of my least favorite actors. But I will watch for the effects.
Jim

Reactions: civilsmoker
We are going to see it tonight.... watched the original last night with the kids....I mean that story line is well........ it’s not the storyline that made it good .... but I would agree this is a big screen movie!

Not a fan of TC either, but again not the reason to see it!

Funny, So did I. but, 1986...oh my...thinking back to that young age...I will stop be I incriminate myself too much
I'm not saying anything...... but I did see the original on the big screen!

My uncle flew the F4 before he moved up to a tanker then "management" with a couple of **'s...to operate a desk and a phone..... If you have ever seen an F4 in person it is more of a rocket with some little stubby arms than a plane. It's hard to believe it would even fly.... As a youngster I loved to hear his flight stories, his son went on to pilot the F14.... It was even cooler to hear them talk together....

Last edited:
To say Tom is overrated is giving him to much credit and special effects still won't get me to watch.

The last movie I went to see in the theaters was Inspector Gadget. I took my kids after one of my daughters softball tournaments. Of, course I fell asleep during the movie, and my daughter woke me up with a 10 year olds gut punch. She was embarrassed with her dad's snoring. I won't be seeing this movie.

Chris

I won't spend the dough to see it on the big screen. Haven't been to a movie since the last Jurassic Park. One of the kids took me. Ahem, they needed a ride! We have a nice TV. So, I'll wait. I did like the first Top Gun. Though I'm not as fan of TC either.

Last edited:
First, Thank you for the expectation management!

Second, everyone should go see this movie because this is the first studio in a while to stand up against Chinese censorship by keeping Taiwan’s flag on a flight jacket. We need to support companies that have a spine when it comes to China!

Finally!!!! We’re going for a nostalgic date night without the kids. I lived and still have a house in Oceanside where Kelly McGillis’s house was in the original and was stationed on Miramar where they did a lot of filming in the original. Some friends at 3D MAW did stuff for this movie too, so there is a lot of connections.

IMG954563.jpg

I have a ton of original Top Gun stories because an F-14 RIO (backseater) and I saw the original script in late 1984. At the time I was working shore duty out of the Navy recruiting district headquarters on Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles (no longer on Wilshire. That's another story entirely). It wasn't unusual for scriptwriters to bring Navy-related work to the office to get feedback. The script totally sucked. Very unreal opening.

We put the guy in touch with the LA area PAO (Public Affairs Officer) Lt. Sandy Stairs who worked out of the Federal Building on the opposite end of Wilshire Blvd (see end credits). That led to him being referred to Top Gun at NAS Miramar in San Diego (not there anymore. Now in Fallon, NV).

My brother-in-law, an F-14 fighter puke (that's an Attack pilot's nickname for guys who flew the aluminum overcast F-14), was training in Top Gun at the time the movie was filmed. His callsign is actually seen in the movie in the classroom scene. He has stories of the cast I will not repeat here because I don't want to get sued.

The storyline of the guy turning in his wings actually happened. The PAO of NAS Miramar was an F-14 pilot I flew with off the Enterprise. He is in the movie twice (bar scene and grad ceremony) and his real name is used toward the end of the movie when an alert plane goes down on deck when they want to launch help against the bogeys.

A guy my then-girlfriend-now-wife and I used to drink and party with is in the opening scenes. The blonde LSO (Landing Safety Officer) watching planes trap holding the radio phone to his ear is that guy. I was in a packed theater opening weekend after working a Navy recruiting booth. When I saw him, I automatically screamed his name in surprise when he appeared on the screen.

Guys I trained to fly basic jets who became F-14 pilots are some of the pilots credited at the end. Fun movie. Some major flaws, but it still pops into the player now and again. The original is on Netflix right now.

We'll go see the new one once things settle down.

Last edited:
I could tell ya about some that secret stuff from when i worked on it at USAF Plant 42, EAFB and a place in Nevada....

But then i would have ta....well you know. :emoji_astonished:

My last 10 years i was Sr crane operator and ground support for all 20, B2 Bombers. Went together good on the computer but when i started to hang parts on it....WELLLLLL.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky