I gave in and took my wife to see Top Gun last Wed night at a prescreening that a friend hooked me up with.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Very cool! The aircraft above was in the Tillamook Air Field Museum... the hanger was one of the WWII blimp sites... the hanger is just incredible! I’ve been in the air museum in Seattle had the F4, F14, and a SR-71. None of the this compares to a special exhibit at the Smithsonian some 25 years ago.... they had the Enola Gay, we got to walk up to the bombing sight area and all..... before going into the plane there was lots of talking.... once in.....you could hear a hair hit the floor. I will NEVER forget that feeling!
Wow!
The SR-71 would definitely give me a stiffy, but my gawd, the Enola Gay!! Step in that ship and I know time would stand still. What an incredible experience, I’m sure.

Reactions: civilsmoker
For those of you who haven't seen a Tomcat launch from a carrier, it's a vulgar display of power, be it day or night. Hornets are cool, but those F-14s have a special place in my heart. Let's not leave the Intruder folks out.... one of those suckers leaving a catupult loaded to the hilt with bombs was a sight to behold. Ahhhh... I miss those days.

Wow!
The SR-71 would definitely give me a stiffy, but my gawd, the Enola Gay!! Step in that ship and I know time would stand still. What an incredible experience, I’m sure.
Yes Sir the SR-71 was AWESOME, they did have the tail pipes covered :-( but it was just crazy cool! They had a concord as well, but that thing was like a sardine can....It had to be quick otherwise no one would lasted inside! LOL.

and double Yes Sr on the Enola Gay. It was a "test exhibit" and only a limited number of people got to go in it. We just happened to luck into it. And yes time stood still, no one could mistake the gravity of feeling that was inside that fuselage! There was some huge controversy over it and congress took the funding and it was pulled shortly after.

FYI, we were in DC, actually Georgetown to race concrete canoes on the Potomac River......

Last edited:
The SR-71 was flying for many, many years before they admitted its existance. The 71 was retired in 1999. No way we've gone without flyover recon for more than 20 years. Drones, satellites, and the X- 37 have their vulnerabilities and weaknesses. The Mach-6 Aurora, or a next gen version? Maybe. Sightings have been similar to pre-acknowlegdement of the 71. Fun stuff, anyway.

Last edited:
Since this movie has been crushing it at the box office, I happened to come across this pic…..

For those that have never been next to a SR71…..they are ridiculously huge!!!!!!!
9506F272-26D7-4586-A91A-8FB9E7D72757.jpeg

Even my wide angle zoom couldn’t get the whole thing in the frame!!!!

Last edited:
Just bad-ass
How on earth they got the edges so perfectly and with the strength needed to stay that way at speed is pure engineering wonder……. My uncle told me that this thing would stretch and flex during flight as it went up to speed….. all the systems had to stretch and shrink with it……. I’ve had my head inside the fuel tank of a 747 and how on earth they designed the fuel tanks in the 71 is beyond me………….. now just think about all the hydraulics and systems and how they operate under tolerances……my uncle said the 71 was a sloppy mess on the ground but tightened up as it got to speed….. he also related when he would refuel them the 71 was at stall speed and he ran the tanker engines way past normal to keep it from ramming them……

We bought the movie for $20 and watched it at home, nobody hooting and hollering ect , I have a 65" tv and nobody crowding me lol , popcorn was a lot cheaper and I had a beer or 3 with while watching

We saw it in the theater and all of us liked it included our 10 & 12 year old. So I went ahead and bought it last week as a digital copy.

Reactions: 912smoker
I'm waiting to buy it in 4K to buy it! 87in with Dolby Atmos.....oh and snacks...Yes!

Since this movie has been crushing it at the box office, I happened to come across this pic…..

For those that have never been next to a SR71…..they are ridiculously huge!!!!!!!
View attachment 642877
Even my wide angle zoom couldn’t get the whole thing in the frame!!!!
I had a big brother from big brothers and sisters of America in the Air Farts in the mid to late 80's... I got to see the Blackbird at Beale during some photo op event with the big brothers big sisters program. It was freakin spectacular. We got breakfast and a photo op. It was a great time. Sadly I lost the photo's and negatives in an apartment fire in the early 2000's.

I just watched it again on amazon after originally seeing it in the theater with 5 other peeps LOL. I still say it's a great movie. Plenty of action, great story line. love story and all the easter eggs. That guy can make a freakin movie between him and Scott it was a winner for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky