I finally made up my mind....maybe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scjohn

Original poster
Dec 19, 2016
Chesterfield, SC
I have made plenty of different kinds of cookers and have cooked some pretty good Q. All my friends say how good it always is but to me its jut not there. Something is missing and not sure what. So I decided to build a 250 gallon RF smoker. I got the tank cut the doors and cut off one bell end and had the RF plate cut and only needed the firebox metal to finish. So I thought....View media item 554375Then I started to really like the Aaron Franklin type of smoker so I changed plans and went to work.
IMG_1041.JPG
IMG_1015.JPG

I got another 250 Gallon tank, cut it in half and begun to marry the two together. Aaron Franklin uses a 24 inch pipe in the center of the firebox half so its a insulated firebox. I posted a ad on craigslist looking for a 24 inch pipe to use. I found one at a good deal so me and my daughter set out on a 7 hour round trip to pick up these.
IMG_1034.JPG

So on our 3.5 hour ride back I was doing some thinking and yup, you guessed it. Changed my mind again. Now I'm building a 24" reverse flow smoker and till have enough pipe to finish the Aaron Franklin smoker. So I went to work...
Cut the flanges and the center thing off. I got lucky cause I was looking for 1/4" and this was 3/8"
IMG_1104.JPG

Started to do my research and followed DaveOmak's direction "THANK YOU" and read everything I possibly can on this forum and got to work. Please don't pick on my welding skills. It sticks but its not pretty and paint will cover it up.
Little mockup of desired outcome.
IMG_1108.JPG
Got the end pieces cut.
IMG_1140.JPG
Starting to cut out the doors and left the corners until I put the hinges on.
IMG_1117.JPG
Built the frame. One thing that really helped me with this project was that I marked the pipe at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o-clock positions so I had a reference point through the entire build.
IMG_1123.JPG
Cut out the firebox door and dampener pinwheel. I know....vent at the top. Its coming.
IMG_1164.JPG
Reverse flow plate in.
IMG_1138.JPG
Hinges on and door cut out.
IMG_1134.JPG
Door weight added
IMG_1165.JPG
Got the firebox connected to the cook chamber. This was a exciting moment for me. As you can see from the pics, I have no shop and everything I have don has been by myself using blocks and leverage and some backbone.
IMG_1173.JPG
IMG_1174.JPG
Got a grate for the firebox.
IMG_1162.JPG
Got the cook grate done.
IMG_1224.JPG
Not sure if it helps but I added this piece in the end to help the flow. Well see.
IMG_1250.JPG
Here is the firebox door with the upper vent added.
IMG_1262.JPG
Added two thermometers and two ports and a handle to the front. Stack is in and ready for a test fire. I still need to add a shelf in the front, finish welding some spots, replace the broken therm on the right, some heavy duty tires (3/8 pipe weighs 94 lb. per foot) and some black paint. Im planning on cooking this Saturday for my birthday party. Ill let ya'll know how it goes and try to remember to get some pics.
IMG_1260.JPG

Wow lots of work.
But looking great so far
Thanks weev. It was a lot of work but I got excited every time I got a little closer and I told the wife that I will not cook another large piece of meat until I get the rite smoker built so that's what kept me motivated. LOL

Wow a great build you need 2 I could use one at least an invite when you fire them up. :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

Warrem
I don't really need 2. Not sure what i'm going to do with the 250. Probably throw it off to the side for now. I'm going to fire it up today and cook 11lb of pork fat for the grill break in and some chicken for us so there is your invite.

F52B1604-16D6-4EDC-B534-633D37C5CF27.png
Oh SCJohn,
One John I just saw that you are using the cook grate.
I had a welder weld some expanded metal underneath the grate so that embers would stay up where I wanted u til they were too small and will now just fall through. Really works well. You should look into it.

BBD6344A-156D-48B3-A942-C6A9EB70D65F.jpeg BBD6344A-156D-48B3-A942-C6A9EB70D65F.jpeg
View attachment 389289 Oh SCJohn,
One John I just saw that you are using the cook grate.
I had a welder weld some expanded metal underneath the grate so that embers would stay up where I wanted u til they were too small and will now just fall through. Really works well. You should look into it.
Thanks for the great advice. I had to set it on top cause I added rebar across the bottom for reinforcement.

That’s ok. If your fire has trouble though keep it in mind. Don’t want airflow to get blocked.

Smoker likes really nice. How does it do on wood consumption? Temps across the grates? Was that the first time it’s been fired up?

That’s ok. If your fire has trouble though keep it in mind. Don’t want airflow to get blocked.

Smoker likes really nice. How does it do on wood consumption? Temps across the grates? Was that the first time it’s been fired up?
This is the first fire. I got 11lb of pork fat on there for seasoning. I’m about a split of wood every 45 min or so temps are 5-10 apart so I’m happy with that.

I have made plenty of different kinds of cookers and have cooked some pretty good Q. All my friends say how good it always is but to me its jut not there. Something is missing and not sure what. So I decided to build a 250 gallon RF smoker. I got the tank cut the doors and cut off one bell end and had the RF plate cut and only needed the firebox metal to finish. So I thought....View media item 554375Then I started to really like the Aaron Franklin type of smoker so I changed plans and went to work.View attachment 389099 View attachment 389100
I got another 250 Gallon tank, cut it in half and begun to marry the two together. Aaron Franklin uses a 24 inch pipe in the center of the firebox half so its a insulated firebox. I posted a ad on craigslist looking for a 24 inch pipe to use. I found one at a good deal so me and my daughter set out on a 7 hour round trip to pick up these.
View attachment 389101
So on our 3.5 hour ride back I was doing some thinking and yup, you guessed it. Changed my mind again. Now I'm building a 24" reverse flow smoker and till have enough pipe to finish the Aaron Franklin smoker. So I went to work...
Cut the flanges and the center thing off. I got lucky cause I was looking for 1/4" and this was 3/8"
View attachment 389102
Started to do my research and followed DaveOmak's direction "THANK YOU" and read everything I possibly can on this forum and got to work. Please don't pick on my welding skills. It sticks but its not pretty and paint will cover it up.
Little mockup of desired outcome.
View attachment 389103
Got the end pieces cut.
View attachment 389104
Starting to cut out the doors and left the corners until I put the hinges on.
View attachment 389105
Built the frame. One thing that really helped me with this project was that I marked the pipe at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o-clock positions so I had a reference point through the entire build.
View attachment 389107
Cut out the firebox door and dampener pinwheel. I know....vent at the top. Its coming.
View attachment 389108
Reverse flow plate in.
View attachment 389109
Hinges on and door cut out.
View attachment 389110
Door weight added
View attachment 389111
Got the firebox connected to the cook chamber. This was a exciting moment for me. As you can see from the pics, I have no shop and everything I have don has been by myself using blocks and leverage and some backbone.
View attachment 389112
View attachment 389114
Got a grate for the firebox.
View attachment 389113
Got the cook grate done.
View attachment 389115
Not sure if it helps but I added this piece in the end to help the flow. Well see.
View attachment 389116
Here is the firebox door with the upper vent added.
View attachment 389117
Added two thermometers and two ports and a handle to the front. Stack is in and ready for a test fire. I still need to add a shelf in the front, finish welding some spots, replace the broken therm on the right, some heavy duty tires (3/8 pipe weighs 94 lb. per foot) and some black paint. Im planning on cooking this Saturday for my birthday party. Ill let ya'll know how it goes and try to remember to get some pics.
View attachment 389118

I like your style. It took me
1 time with the lid falling on me before I added my counterweight

Attachments

• 00620785-8E1A-49E8-AC67-F34A86F97DD0.jpeg
    00620785-8E1A-49E8-AC67-F34A86F97DD0.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 28
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky