I Finally Found One!! A Packer That Is.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

krusher

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 31, 2008
rocky mount, virginia
I have been looking all over for one and also at a decent price, and I finally did it. I have been driveing past this little processing plant my entire life where local farmers take pig and cow, and it never dawned on me to give them a call and found out that they would order a case and see what I thought. They called today and said that they were in, so I went to check them out and this is what they had. It is the packer like everyone on here does, and he let me have it for 2.53 #. I know that is not what some of you are used to paying, but around here they go for 5.99 #, and 3.29 # at sams.

I am not going to try the whole thing at once, I need to separate the point and probably trim some fat off of it, but I guess it's like the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for , you just might get it.

Now I just gotta figure out how to cut this thing.

Yeah, that's a hunk of meat. Good luck with it. Remember that point and flat cook a little different. And don't forget more pics!

Nice score Krusher! I'll be looking forward to your q-view.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

darn dude............you either need to seperate the point from it, and make burnt ends with it, or you are prob looking at a 24 hour smoke..............ouch

nice score tho btw............

you could use bacon hanging hooks...........take out all the racks, and hang it to smoke........put a pan under it to collect the melting fat...........if your gosm is a gasser, shouldn't be that hard of a deal to smoke it...........just make sure you hang it from the brisket end. the point end would shred from the weight of that monster

thanks for the tips wd, I got something in the works with the bbq restaraunt in town, they have replaced there old smokers with new digital ones and I am in the proces of acquiring one of them, it is electric and is about 7 feet tall and four feet wide. I know it's electric but I will have a collection before long, and it will include a wood burner, I have got my hands on a small woodstove and thought I had a drum but that fell through, but I will find another one. Wife says I have a little problem with ocd, but I don't think so.

Too bad you're not here in the wild west. I have three packers in the fridge @ $1.47 per pound. I'll smoke all three along with six butts for a friend's Harley party this weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky