I Finally Found One!! A Packer That Is.

Discussion in 'Beef' started by krusher, Sep 24, 2008.

1. krusher

krusher Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I have been looking all over for one and also at a decent price, and I finally did it. I have been driveing past this little processing plant my entire life where local farmers take pig and cow, and it never dawned on me to give them a call and found out that they would order a case and see what I thought. They called today and said that they were in, so I went to check them out and this is what they had. It is the packer like everyone on here does, and he let me have it for 2.53 #. I know that is not what some of you are used to paying, but around here they go for 5.99 #, and 3.29 # at sams.

I am not going to try the whole thing at once, I need to separate the point and probably trim some fat off of it, but I guess it's like the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for , you just might get it.

Now I just gotta figure out how to cut this thing.

2. jack2u2

jack2u2 Smoke Blower

Yeah, that's a hunk of meat. Good luck with it. Remember that point and flat cook a little different. And don't forget more pics!

3. placebo

placebo Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice score Krusher! I'll be looking forward to your q-view.[​IMG]

4. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

darn dude............you either need to seperate the point from it, and make burnt ends with it, or you are prob looking at a 24 hour smoke..............ouch

nice score tho btw............

5. walking dude

you could use bacon hanging hooks...........take out all the racks, and hang it to smoke........put a pan under it to collect the melting fat...........if your gosm is a gasser, shouldn't be that hard of a deal to smoke it...........just make sure you hang it from the brisket end. the point end would shred from the weight of that monster

6. krusher

krusher Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

thanks for the tips wd, I got something in the works with the bbq restaraunt in town, they have replaced there old smokers with new digital ones and I am in the proces of acquiring one of them, it is electric and is about 7 feet tall and four feet wide. I know it's electric but I will have a collection before long, and it will include a wood burner, I have got my hands on a small woodstove and thought I had a drum but that fell through, but I will find another one. Wife says I have a little problem with ocd, but I don't think so.

7. walking dude

wow..........then you become sausage making KING dude, with summin like that...........

8. waysideranch

waysideranch Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice hunk a meat. Post us some q-view.

9. davenh

davenh Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Nice chunk of meat, a whopper [​IMG]

10. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Too bad you're not here in the wild west. I have three packers in the fridge @ $1.47 per pound. I'll smoke all three along with six butts for a friend's Harley party this weekend.