I could use some advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Same here....and sorry I overlooked saying this in my first reply. I saw it and intended to say happy b-day but had a brain cramp. My dad told me that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions so maybe he's right :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Thank you, appreciate it.

New and heavier wires won't hurt, but is your Ledge 12 volt like mine?
And customer support not doing anything for you? Just blowing you off?

Ryan
Yes, it is 12v, has battery and lighter plugs.
I have had so many issues with this grill, I do think it is just defective unit. Others seem to work fine.

I have been working with customer support for a few months now, I am on prototype firmware because I have a mesh network at home and connecting wasn't working. They have been responsive, but there are just so many issues. I don't really have anything negative to say about them.

Yes, it is 12v, has battery and lighter plugs.
I have had so many issues with this grill, I do think it is just defective unit. Others seem to work fine.

I have been working with customer support for a few months now, I am on prototype firmware because I have a mesh network at home and connecting wasn't working. They have been responsive, but there are just so many issues. I don't really have anything negative to say about them.
I have yet to get mine hooked up to wifi, but I don't blame you a bit...that has been nothing but a headache for you!

Ryan

I have yet to get mine hooked up to wifi, but I don't blame you a bit...that has been nothing but a headache for you!

Ryan
Thanks, I really wanted something easy, I tend to make a production of these things, I'm a anal precision kind of guy and like to get things correct.

I am smoking 2 strip loin roasts, just over 2.5lbs each, tomorrow and am thinking I should get out the gas smoker. I can at least control the smoke. And, it is in the garage so won't blow in wife's office window.

Feel free to ask what else you NEED for your birthday...we are here to help! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Reactions: 912smoker
About 3 months ago I bought a pellet grill, a GMG Ledge. I really knew nothing about these things and was just hoping for a good experience. The main issue I have is that at startup it generates a huge supply of thick white smoke that gets on everything. Into my wife's office window, not a good thing and on the furniture on the patio.

When I startup in the morning, the wife comes running out with fans to blow the smoke away from the house. I had, still have, a propane smoker that does not show this problem. I just moved out the propane smoker for the new pellet grill.

So, I think I have a couple of choices. Easiest is to move the grill farther away from the house. This would be the easiest as I have a sort of reasonable place to put it. This is not my favorite choice as it make the griller, me, be far away from the party action while I am cooking. The other choice is to replace the grill with something that doesn't have the startup issue.

I see many pictures here where people have their smoker right on the patio. I have the smoker running at 225 and this is what it looks like when it lights up some new wood at 225°. At startup it is much more smoke than this.View attachment 640076

Any advice would be useful. Do all pellet grills operate this way, generate so much smoke when the fire a new batch of pellets?
OMG! That looks so good, all the smoke! Whish I could smoke like that!

Have a great birthday, hope you either find out what's causing the problems with the one you have or that you get a new one that will work great for you right away!

Reactions: Nefarious
What ever choice you make, I suggest a fan near by just in case. I wouldn't want to face the wrath of having bought a new smoker and a perceived similar smoking event to occur. Don't ask me why..... :emoji_laughing:

I will add- The smoke is more pronounced if you leave pellets in the hopper in a humid environment...like south Louisiana. The pellets will suck up moisture and that enhances the white smoke at start up. Sometimes the pellets will get so wet from humidity that they will swell and crumble apart. One of the drawbacks to pellet smokers IMO. They should make the hoppers removable for dry storage.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
I will add- The smoke is more pronounced if you leave pellets in the hopper in a humid environment...like south Louisiana. The pellets will suck up moisture and that enhances the white smoke at start up. Sometimes the pellets will get so wet from humidity that they will swell and crumble apart. One of the drawbacks to pellet smokers IMO. They should make the hoppers removable for dry storage.
Good point. I remove them from the hopper after each use, and I store them in good containers, not the best in back of my garage. I'm not saying I paid attention to this, I think I was just lucky the pellets were dry. I will have to pay attention to this over the fall, winter, and spring. Thanks for the heads up.

I know you have had many issues with your Ledge but I wonder if it has something to do with your firmware. I bought my Peak shortly before N Nefarious bought his Ledge. I don't empty my pellet hopper unless I'm changing pellets. Mine is stored in the garage but is opened and left open every day...usually 90 to 100 % humidity every morning this time of year. I'll post a pic for others to see my smoke at start up

20220626_112128.jpg

Ryan

I know you have had many issues with your Ledge but I wonder if it has something to do with your firmware. I bought my Peak shortly before N Nefarious bought his Ledge. I don't empty my pellet hopper unless I'm changing pellets. Mine is stored in the garage but is opened and left open every day...usually 90 to 100 % humidity every morning this time of year. I'll post a pic for others to see my smoke at start up

View attachment 640170

Ryan
The smoke has gotten worse since the firmware and I have worked with support to solve other problems. To rectify them I had to change the heat shield position from 4.25 inches from the left wall to 5". Now there is better temperature control but more smoke.

The smoke has gotten worse since the firmware and I have worked with support to solve other problems. To rectify them I had to change the heat shield position from 4.25 inches from the left wall to 5". Now there is better temperature control but more smoke.
Believe it's time to ask for your money back or a new one!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky