I could use some advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just adding that my wife would be the same or worse on this. Even when I got the MES halfway into the yard and perfect TBS I get "advice" from her. Agree, time to return it.

Reactions: Nefarious
Say, if you're going to move the smoking area to the lower patio with no electric, why not go with a barrel type smoker like an OKJ Bronco? They are versatile cookers, and no electric required.

Reactions: 912smoker
Happy Birthday, N Nefarious ! Hope you have a great day. Any ideas on a new smoker yet and does it have to be a pellet machine?
Thanks, i haven't even thought about a new smoker yet. I'm just looking to make some parts of smoking easier. I have a propane vertical smoker, but it takes too much effort for daily cooking.

First off - Happy Birthday

Next I wonder if somehow your not getting enough airflow thru the smoker, or if your not keeping the lid open long enough during startup. I'm not a pellet head so just tossing out ideas.

Chris

Got Frankenstein up and running again, this is much closer to what it should be like.
PXL_20220809_233807095.jpg

About 3 months ago I bought a pellet grill, a GMG Ledge. I really knew nothing about these things and was just hoping for a good experience. The main issue I have is that at startup it generates a huge supply of thick white smoke that gets on everything. Into my wife's office window, not a good thing and on the furniture on the patio.

When I startup in the morning, the wife comes running out with fans to blow the smoke away from the house. I had, still have, a propane smoker that does not show this problem. I just moved out the propane smoker for the new pellet grill.

So, I think I have a couple of choices. Easiest is to move the grill farther away from the house. This would be the easiest as I have a sort of reasonable place to put it. This is not my favorite choice as it make the griller, me, be far away from the party action while I am cooking. The other choice is to replace the grill with something that doesn't have the startup issue.

I see many pictures here where people have their smoker right on the patio. I have the smoker running at 225 and this is what it looks like when it lights up some new wood at 225°. At startup it is much more smoke than this.View attachment 640076

Any advice would be useful. Do all pellet grills operate this way, generate so much smoke when the fire a new batch of pellets?
You may have an airflow issue. When you initially fire it up, you will always get a burst of smoke. This burst can last up to 5 minutes or more, depending on the temp setting. What temp are you normally setting it at? If you are at 300 or above, lower it to 225-250 and see if the same thing happens. If it continues at this lower temp, open the top for a few minutes and let it settle down. After a few minutes, close the cover. If it continues, then the problem could be a clogged firebox. Make sure that it is 100% clean without any residue or old, un-burnt pellets. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
You may have an airflow issue. When you initially fire it up, you will always get a burst of smoke. This burst can last up to 5 minutes or more, depending on the temp setting. What temp are you normally setting it at? If you are at 300 or above, lower it to 225-250 and see if the same thing happens. If it continues at this lower temp, open the top for a few minutes and let it settle down. After a few minutes, close the cover. If it continues, then the problem could be a clogged firebox. Make sure that it is 100% clean without any residue or old, un-burnt pellets. Keep us posted.
The problem he was having with excessive smoke production even during a cook was not normal at all.
Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky