I am out of here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
This is my last post on SMF.

I no longer feel welcomed after the ad overload debacle that resulted in name calling and shaming members into paid membership. I don't mind the odd member classless remarks , but veteran/respect members resort to the same attitude and mods appear to tolerate, even validate it, until things get out of control.

Other than the last few days I truly enjoyed my 8 year membership, awesome advice and support, great conversations and good humour . I tried to give back as much as I was given. If I haven't succeeded I apologize.

All the best and keep on smokin'.

I no longer feel welcomed after the ad overload debacle that resulted in name calling and shaming members into paid membership. I don't mind the odd member classless remarks , but veteran/respect members resort to the same attitude and mods appear to tolerate, even validate it, until things get out of control.

Other than the last few days I truly enjoyed my 8 year membership, awesome advice and support, great conversations and good humour . I tried to give back as much as I was given. If I haven't succeeded I apologize.

I feel your pain my friend. It's definitely not as it once was and once enough people stop contributing, "they" will have nothing to sell.

Truly appreciate all the advice and posts you made and sorry other people have made you want to call it quits. You will be missed!

Before paying to become a lifetime premier member, I used adguard. Most of the time it worked well and if I wanted to see something I just paused it and looked at the ad. Later I killed it for this site. I had no issues with ads. Then I became a lifetime premier member. $100.00 which seemed to be the least expensive of the options over the long run. Still no issues. I pawed thru the complaints and such and was somewhat dismayed by the attitudes some members displayed. Free country, freedom of speech, etc. Different folks, different attitudes. Still a great country and forum.

Free country, freedom of speech, etc.
I agree with the sentiment, but freedom of speech relates only to the government not infringing on it. It has nothing to do with a privately owned entity such as this. A property owner is free to set their own rules. That said, which is cheaper, 15 bucks to go ad free, or daily blood pressure meds from the ads driving yours up? I say this tongue in cheek, lol.

The freedom thing was nothing more than a response concerning the moderators letting words be said. The way I have it figured, anything worth having is worth paying for either with a fee or aggravation. Wishing all here well and the best.
Well said, and I agree.

Reactions: negolien
Bye! I'm not trying to be rude to you personally...because I don't know you. But all these posts about the ads versus cost of a membership...it's bullshit! The cost is 4 cents per day. Probably the cheapest thing you could buy in this day and age. Maybe you should become a moderator and work on this site like many do with no pay and still work full time jobs elsewhere!

Ryan

I signed up as a 2 year Premier Member after looking at the site just once, not sure I'd still do that I'd I'd seen this thread first. I don't buy Lifetime Memberships to any forum because they all seem to devolve into this exact situation. I hope this forum survives in its current form and doesn't go the way so many do with cliques and members stabbing members for comments they don't like. I've been known to make an occasional snarky post on threads and occasionally get one in return, all in jest or at least that's the way I take it. I hope it doesn't get to the point that isn't tolerated.

I don’t think the majority here shame or look down on those who don’t subscribe. I sure don’t, I share and comment on all without even noticing that frankly. Relative to membership I’ve simply pointed out to folks it’s an available option to cut down on ads and support the site if one can. The most recent thread on ads got a little emotional but I really don’t think anyone was trying to shame folks. Hate to see someone leave over it for sure.

Drama. Good god.
So a couple members of the site decided to kick up the dust, now the whole forum is in trouble? That’s rich.
Can’t cough up 15 bucks to pitch in, but want a red solo cup to get a drink. The door swings both ways, in and out. This forum and its membership is the best on the webs. Want to leave? Good luck, no reason to spread poison here. See ya.

Suck it up big guy.
Any respectable member would agree with you that the ad's are complete B. S.

And if they don't it's because they don't understand how website review/ revenue is paid out.

Your email is bought and sold the same way Asian massage parlors buy and sell their masseuses.

Ublock on Firefox works wonders, download it and have fun, supporting the site through your email sales.

Besides that, "F" the people that are so petty that they don't understand how forum reviews/ revenue works.

I laugh at the people that haphazardly shell out money, to so call support sites, and think that they are better off for doing so.

I got a bridge that needs financing, please help me out respectable members!!!!

Last edited:

Sorry to see you or any other member leave but that is entirely up to you it seems once in awhile we have a thread get out of hand and feelings get hurt and a member or two leave the site. Many seem to find their way back eventually
As for staff appearing to tolerate the thread that got deleted it was tolerated until it got nasty and vulgar if we had deleted before we did then members would have said we weren't allowing "discussion" and "debate" heck you started another thread about the ads and complained in the first post that we had deleted the original thread. I certainly didn't see any staff member validate anything in that thread.

As you can see, I've been here a while.. All forums go through ups and downs, seen it here many times, people go start their own forum, they still haven't reached the success as SMF. I do fade in and out as the BS level comes and goes, hard to fight ignorance , but there is still some great advice here, if you choose to weed through it.

The thing that disturbs me the most was how some people acted over this. We all have options. And lashing out over these ads was completely foolish and immature. Attacking people over their opinions? I'm not defending the admin(s).
But they clearly stated over and over again that the issue was being addressed. And still this behavior continued. THIS type of behavior is far more damaging than the ad issue supposedly is.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky