I Am Declaring This A Disaster (Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I hope most importantly you two are safe inside and none of the trees fell on your home. this will take a while to recover from.

Thannks Dave and yes, we are safe. When it started getting really bad I got one of the chain saws and the 12' pole saw ready, walked around the house checking things out, and was ready to remove anything that posed a potential threat to the house.

We got the ice storm also. Predicting 22in of snow between Saturday and Thursday. Calling it the worse snow storm for these parts in decades. Stay safe bud

Sheesh Jake!! I hope you're either well prepared or are planning to head for FL with all that coming your way. You take care of yourself and the family buddy. That's a lot of snow and nothing to be taken lightly.

But with how you make your property look so beautiful, I got a feeling you will fix it back up again.

Yes sir we will and thank you for the support. Just a shame that we were to the point of basic maintenance with the bulk work done and now we're starting from scratch again.

ya here is last one we had.. we lived here 41 yrs now. cut down a lot a trees from dutch elm. , wind storms ect.. planted more though and after 40 yrs the do grow nice

Man!! That's a big ol' tree that came down. that one is big enough to do some serious damage if it had hit anything.

Robert

Damn man I am sorry to see this Robert. I know how hard it is to lose something you have worked so hard on. Stay safe down there and you guys will bounce back. Anything we can do just let us know.

Joe could lend you his girl chainsaw. You might be able to scrap a couple of those smaller branches for kindling.

Lol, I had a feeling this might come up. But see you’re wrong John, because I’m ahead of the game. I’ll be in Robert’s pool enjoying a beer and a margarita while the battery charges.

• Haha
Reactions: jaxgatorz
Robert it will look great again once you get in there, with a chain saw. I had 2 more giant oaks taken down right before winter.

Thanks so much Richie. We have gotten our brains wrapped around the task ahead and are ready as soon as the weather straightens out. As for having to take down trees as you did, that was the norm when I was growing up. Lived out in the country not far from the Blue Ridge Mountains in VA and it was long before buried utility lines. Every year we had to go through the community as a group and remove potential threats to power and phone lines. as far out as we were it'd be weeks before anybody found us if something happened.

heres 2011 flood. lived with my daughter from may to december before river receded

Man, that's rough. Heck of a flood. We had the 500 year flood here 3 years ago and it was devastating. We live super close to the lake but are high enough that we weren't in any danger. The lake rose over 80 feet in three hours and a lot of people weren't so fortunate.

Damn man I am sorry to see this Robert. I know how hard it is to lose something you have worked so hard on. Stay safe down there and you guys will bounce back. Anything we can do just let us know.

Thanks buddy. We really appreciate it. We'll be ok though unless you wanna come down and grab a saw. I'll trade you a couple nice steaks for some labor :emoji_wink:

Joe could lend you his girl chainsaw.

I could never borrow Joe's saw. He might need to trim his fingernails or shorten some toothpicks or something along those lines :emoji_laughing:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I’ll be in Robert’s pool enjoying a beer and a margarita while the battery charges.

I don't think you wanna be in the pool right now. It's 23 degrees outside, I drained the pool last week to power wash the plaster, and the water that's in it from the storm is frozen. How are you at ice skating with a margarita in your hand?

Robert

I don't think you wanna be in the pool right now. It's 23 degrees outside, I drained the pool last week to power wash the plaster, and the water that's in it from the storm is frozen. How are you at ice skating with a margarita in your hand?

Robert

Like how a duck takes to water!
6DEF0D72-F13A-4F94-8D96-968B9D50FB8E.gif

You won’t believe how good 23 degrees feels after a week or two in the single digits. I’d jump in for sure!

Crying shame, Robert. This is the first I've heard anything about it. From a forecast of 82 degrees to a devastating ice storm. Sorry, but I'm afraid I can't even offer to help cut wood, what with the border pretty much closed and me being pretty much at the opposite end of the continent.
I can't believe the way those limbs just snapped off. We hardly ever get an ice storm in the foothills, just tons of snow. We quite often have large branches forced to the ground by the weight of the snow, but as the snow clears off, most of them seem to recover and climb back up, but most of the trees on our property are a mix of conifer and poplar. None have branches at the acute angle yours are at.
It's a real punch in the guts to see all those years of work destroyed, but the important thing is that you guys came through it safe and sound.
Gary

Man oh man Robert what a mess. Have been there done that here many times. Natures way of pruning is not the prettiest that is for sure. Glad to see you have it under control with the grin and bear it attitude. Little extra beer helps too.

Warren

Last edited:
Wow, Robert. That sucks big time. Glad you and your home are safe and intact.

The first 24 hours after the event are always the worst, then your brain starts working on adaptations and solutions. This post is about 4 hours after your first one. I can see and feel your pain.

Stay safe,

Ray

Beautiful property Robert. I think you will be surprised at how well it will clean up. Im crossing my fingers and hoping so for you anyway.

That is indeed a lot of work ruined. But you still own four acres of Texas Hill Country. That in itself is something unique that most of us will never experience.

The trees will just grow back thicker now.....<sarc>...

Look at the bright side, you'll have something to do walking around with a beer in your hand come springtime....

That does suck!

Went thru that in October, Here in Oklahoma. the only good i seen from it was the fallen limbs i can use for my firepit and the oak I have will be used for my wood smoker.

This breaks my heart to read, and see. I am so sorry, Robert. I have unfortunately witnessed firsthand the devastation mother nature can bring.

One of the first things that came to mind when seeing those beautiful trees damaged like that, was post Katrina on the Mississippi Gulf coast. As terribly saddening as it was to see so many majestic oaks all but gone, someone turned the carnage into beautiful permanent sculptures, all along the coast line. I know you too will find a way to restore the beauty to such a magnificent place.

That really stinks Robert, but I'm glad to hear you weren't involved in that 133 car pile up. We had a good ice storm in 98 and it was a pain in the a$$ for a while, but eventually everything return to normal. As for your trees - some will bounce back(trees can be very resilient), but it's still tough to see your all of hard work destroyed in a matter of hours. I'm sure you'll overcome this setback. Heck you may even see some places for improvements. Maybe a secluded patio area where you can just kick back. relax, and reflect.

Chris

Man, so sorry to see your beautiful trees damaged. We live in Oregon at the west end of the Columbia Gorge. In the winter we get warm wet clouds from the Pacific, mixing with cold air coming down the gorge from Canada. When they meet, we get freezing rain. We have lost some nice trees.

We had freezing rain last night turn into a decent snow storm this morning. We could end up with up to a couple of feet by Sunday which is a lot for us.

Let me know if you need help, I’ll toss the chainsaw into the truck and head out!

That sucks Robert but mother nature does seem to be nasty to us every so often. Nobody was hurt and that is the most important thing, you can trim them and clean up the mess and in time it will look awesome again but it does suck having to do it all again. We dealt with Hurricane Michael and lots of people in N FL and SW GA are still dealing with the effects of that one.

Dang Robert that sucks. Hopefully after the thaw and cleanup its not bad

Just remember as bad as it may seem. There are billions of people who would kill for what you have! I hope you get everything worked out and I’m sure you will. Your land looks beautiful and I’m very jealous!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky