Hydroponic vegetables

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newbrian

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 22, 2016
NW Indiana
I am going to try to built a hydroponic garden to use over the winter. I have read that you should use food grade PVC pipe, which is known as uPVC or rigid PVC. I have looked online and can't find either for sale, all I find is PVC Sch 40 and Sch80. Does anyone know where I can find the uPVC?

So back to the garden, I'm thinking I'm going to start small with some lettuces, kale and collards. I ordered the book "Hydroponic for Beginners" from Amazon that is going to be delivered today, so I will read it over the weekend and see what knowledge I can gain.

I don't really see any new posts on here that are hydro related, if anyone has any advise please feel free to respond. Thanks!

Check this out and maybe PM him.

Reactions: newbrian
pineywoods pineywoods is your man for this. He has grown a lot of stuff and I believe operates a business doing such.

use the pex pipe used in homes campers ect.. and sharkbite fittings, are you gonna use 1000 watt halogen bulbs n ballasts? and low pressure sodium? if in sealed room a tank of co2 and slow valve would get ya good yields. tubs filled with lava rock all connected and a reservoir with water n fertilizer pumped few times a day.

I've taken quite a few classes and seen lots of homemade systems and I believe everyone of them used regular PVC pipe. I would recommend SCH 40 and if it's going to be in the sun paint the outside of the pipe. I have a couple systems I have built and I've used SCH 40. My commercial systems use regular SCH 40 to the injectors and then on to the systems.
What kind of system are you thinking about doing?

I've taken quite a few classes and seen lots of homemade systems and I believe everyone of them used regular PVC pipe. I would recommend SCH 40 and if it's going to be in the sun paint the outside of the pipe. I have a couple systems I have built and I've used SCH 40. My commercial systems use regular SCH 40 to the injectors and then on to the systems.
What kind of system are you thinking about doing?

I'm not really sure yet, I'm reading up on it. I am going to do the Kratky Mason jar method just to get started, while i figure out the best method for my situation. Right now I'm thinking NFT. What do you suggest for someone just starting out?

use the pex pipe used in homes campers ect.. and sharkbite fittings, are you gonna use 1000 watt halogen bulbs n ballasts? and low pressure sodium? if in sealed room a tank of co2 and slow valve would get ya good yields. tubs filled with lava rock all connected and a reservoir with water n fertilizer pumped few times a day.

not sure on the lighting yet, thanks for the information on the pipe!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky