Huli Huli chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
My wife and I just got back from Hawaii. One thing I wanted to bring home was Huli Huli chicken and macaroni salad. Huli Huli means turn turn in Hawaiian.

huli_huli_chicken_001.jpg

Macaroni Salad:

1 Lb macaroni elbows

2 cups of mayonnaise

2 cups half and half

¼ cup dill pickles chopped

½ cup pineapple chopped

1 cup chopped yellow onion

¼ cup salad vinegar

2 celery slices chopped

1 carrot grated

1 bunch (8) green onion chopped

2 tablespoons brown sugar

I cooked this with Mesquite. It is the closest thing to Kaiwe wood.

huli_huli_chicken_002.jpg

Huli Huli Brine:

½ gallon water

2 cups low sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

¼ cup freshly grated ginger

6 minced garlic cloves

Heat the water, soy and vegetable oil on medium heat for a few minutes then add the rest. Heat for 5 more then take off the heat and add the chicken. Set it in the refrigerator for 2 hours turning occasionally. Remove the chicken from the brine and add ¾ of the marinade. Marinade in the refrigerator overnight. Use the remaining marinade to mop the chicken as you are cooking it. Mahalo

huli_huli_chicken_003.jpg

Huli Huli marinade:

2 cups of pineapple juice

½ cup brown sugar

¼ cup low sodium soy sauce

¼ cup ketchup

¼ cup rice vinegar

5 minced garlic cloves

¼ cup freshly grated ginger

2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce

huli_huli_chicken_005.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. It turned out really good. Very close to Yummy Huli Huli chicken on the East coast of Oahu. There are plenty of leftovers.

huli_huli_chicken_004.jpg

We were on Oahu SmokingUPnorth SmokingUPnorth . We had another couple with us that were first timers so we thought that would be best.

I love the Pit BBQ. That is only the third time I have used the rotisserie for it though. I just re-painted the wheels and brakes on it last week. The red had faded to pink.

Last edited:
Ahhh! My wife took at picture at the Yummy Huli Huli chicken stand.

huli_huli_chicken_006.jpg

And me at Geovanni's famous shrimp truck the next day.

huli_huli_chicken_007.jpg

Thanks everyone. It turned out really good. Very close to Yummy Huli Huli chicken on the west coast of Oahu. There are plenty of leftovers.

View attachment 665108

We were on Oahu SmokingUPnorth SmokingUPnorth . We had another couple with us that were first timers so we thought that would be best.

I love the Pit BBQ. That is only the third time I have used the rotisserie for it though. I just re-painted the wheels and brakes on it last week. The red had faded to pink.
Th ere on the west side now? I thought they were in Kaneohe when I was there. Man I sure do miss that place. Just don’t tell my wife haha

• Wow
Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky