• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

HOWWDDYY!!!

mchevy

Joined Sep 20, 2016
Good day everyone. I have enjoyed reading the forum over the last few days. I just got this bug to try smoking. I was eyeballing a Traeger, but a friend suggested I just use my trusty old Brinkman gas grill with a small smoker box... so, here I am.

I quite literaly put on my first pork loin (about 2 lbs) with apple and hickory chips. We will see in a few hours. Will probably pull it at 140° and let rest another 30 minutes.

Thanks for the insight and confidence!

Mike

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome to the party Mike!

Glad to have you with us!

Al

joe black

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 25, 2015
Welcome from SC, Mike. It's good to have you on this great site.

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from a hot first day of fall  here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

mchevy

Joined Sep 20, 2016
Thanks all for the welcome.

I did learn that a 2 lb loin only needs about 1.5 hours at 275 to be DONE!!!  Oh, well... that's how we learn.

uzikaduzi

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 9, 2016
Now you have a good base... drop the temps till it's about 3 hours to get to that temp... or cure it first and start at 100 and bump up 10 each hour till you get to 145

mike5051

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 7, 2015
Welcome to SMF!  Loins are already a tender piece of meat, you don't have to cook em to death  
  An IT of 145 is perfect, and let it rest 10-15 minutes before slicing.

Mike

mike5051

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 7, 2015
Only suggesting longer for more smoke... but I agree with 145 IT
I knew where you were going, I agree with you.  A lower temp with more time in the smoke is great for that cut of meat.  I was pointing out that the meat is tender, and doesn't need low and slow to break it down.  We've probably got mchevy all confused now.  LOL

Mike

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.