Howdy from far North Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

charlieL

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 3, 2023
Burkburnett TX
I have been smoking and cooking for years. I have learned a lot from lurking on this forum. I enjoy making fresh and cured sausages. I want to learn more about making dry and fermented sausages.

I have been using a UDS for a while now, it is my goto smoker.

I am glad I finally got off of my rear and signed up, and quit lurking. Happy to be here.

Thanks for the mention tx smoker tx smoker ,

And welcome to SMF charlieL. While I don't consider myself an expert on dried and fermented meats, I do have a very solid foundation on how to do it safely and properly. The absolute BEST advice I can give you i to order this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Making-F...t+of+making+fermented+sausages,aps,195&sr=8-1

Order it now and start reading. Read that book at least twice, but 4-5 times over the course of a year is better. Take notes. Understand the 4 major safety hurdles and how they work together for safety.
Understand how much sugar is actually necessary for fermentation to pH below 5.3...

Thanks for the mention tx smoker tx smoker ,

And welcome to SMF charlieL. While I don't consider myself an expert on dried and fermented meats, I do have a very solid foundation on how to do it safely and properly. The absolute BEST advice I can give you i to order this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Making-Fermented-Sausages/dp/0982426712/ref=sr_1_1?crid=OVPHD1EAM7BA&keywords=The+art+of+making+fermented+sausages&qid=1687190386&sprefix=the+art+of+making+fermented+sausages,aps,195&sr=8-1

Order it now and start reading. Read that book at least twice, but 4-5 times over the course of a year is better. Take notes. Understand the 4 major safety hurdles and how they work together for safety.
Understand how much sugar is actually necessary for fermentation to pH below 5.3...
Thank you very much for the book recommendation. I have had the "The Art of Making Fermented Sausages" book for a few years. The first time I tried to read it I did not get very far. The book then stayed on the shelf for a while. The second time I made it a bit further and so on. I have slowly read and reread it. It is starting to come into focus or my understanding is getting better.

Reactions: indaswamp
Welcome from a Newbie to a Newbie. Same here been lurking for a while and have got some great info from this site!!

Reactions: charlieL
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky