Howdy from El Salvador

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Isho21, You may not get the right consistency smoking the finished Papusa...BUT...I will be looking for one with a Smoked Pork or Bean filling using a traditional Recipe... Welcome to the SMF...JJ

Last edited:
OK I  got it.Im with Chef Jimmy,smoke the filling dont mess with the Papusa. Maybe a smoked chicken + local tropical fruit as a salsa,or sausage/pork & those black beans that are down that way. You could have all sorts of fun with it. Looking forward to your efforts.

I love pupusas. There's a couple pupuserias in california. What about a pupusa fatty? Wrap sausage or ground meat of your choice around a row of pulled pork and cheese stuffed pupusas? cook em up traditional and then stuff in the fatty.

Welcome to SMF, your already off to a great start.

Ok I almost had the big one..I went to ups and calculated the cost of sending a 25 lb package to el salvador just to see how much it was and such..valued at $250. The cost of shipping it in a week was $583.47. I think I rather pack it in my luggage and fly it down there for that kind of money..then at least I get to see some sites.

Dave

Dave, you are very kind and generous. Thanks so much for your offer! Besides the cost of shipping, upon its arrival in el salvador, customs opens the box and assesses whichever value they want to it and from there, charges us a sales tax plus import tariffs. Even on used stuff!!! So we just pick things up whenever we travel stateside and put 'em in our suitcases. Actually just booked a trip to FL over new years, so i'm going to stock up on goodies then.

Again, thanks for offering your gadgets and also for going to the trouble of finding all this out. You da man!

Jimmy, Moikel and Teez, love the idea, actually have some pork in the smoker as we speak...tempting!

Ok, you got me, pulled pork pupusas for dinner tonight! Look out for qview...

So, with the mods, and a little minion method, ran the smoker for about 7h with one load of 1.5 bags of lump charcoal.  Only stirred up the lumps and added new wood chunks, but temp was MUCH more manageable...I think I'm going to try a brisket again, maybe this time it won't be like chewing through my flip flops!

I love pupusas. There's a couple pupuserias in california. What about a pupusa fatty? Wrap sausage or ground meat of your choice around a row of pulled pork and cheese stuffed pupusas? cook em up traditional and then stuff in the fatty.
Pupuserias,for real? This is really new for me down here
aussieflag.gif
 & I love new stuff.

Ya its like the Salvadorian version of a taqueria. hard to find and many miles apart.

It's pretty much, wherever there are Salvadorans, there will be pupuserias.  Cali is full of Salvadoreans and therefore, you will find some decent pupuserias.  Sarita's Pupuseria, Los Angeles, CA is supposed to be very good, it was featured in Food Network's "The Best Thing I Ever Ate"

welcome1.gif
Isho. You will learn so much here. We actually have a pupuseria in Lenoir, NC. Never knew what it was . I knew it was a type of Latino food place but didn't know what country.  Next time I go towards the mountains I will have to check it out. Y'all got me curious now.

Sweet!  It's kind of like ATBs in the sense that you can vary on the basics as much as you like.  I'm a sucker for the pupusas stuffed with chicharrón (pork rinds) with cheese.  Here they like to eat them with a slaw on top and a tomato sauce, but I'm a purist and eat the pupusa on its own.  

As a native Guatemalan, I'm now very interested in the possibility of pulled pork-stuffed tamales....or maybe even smoking the tamales themselves.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky