How would you cook this piece?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jabiru

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
South Aus
Just got given this slab of beef - 5KG, asked what cut and he didn't know. It looks rolled and is tied. Flank or ?

How would you cook this?

I was thinking Dry rub, run at 220F until about 160F internal, then run @ 350F to get to 193F?

Ive got a GMG Pellet smoker.

IMG_6577.JPG IMG_6578.JPG IMG_6579.JPG

A rub and run at 225 til 200-205 its not chicken so I see no reason to kick the temps up, if you knew more about the meat it could be cooked to med rare and sliced but rolled would worry me similar to ground beef rare ? good luck

Is it actually rolled? It looks like a boneless rib roast tied up. The pics are a bit dark so it’s hard to see the end if it is rolled or not but it doesn’t look like it. I tie up my rib roast the same way, it’s easier to get even IT.

Rub: kosher salt, coarse black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder,celery salt. Coat generously.

I cook mine at 225 until IT hits 125, pull off to rest while the oven heats up (20-30 min) preheat the oven to 500 and cook until you get a nice crust (15min ish)

Reactions: Jabiru
like the others said looks like a ribeye, if it's a solid piece of meat cooking rare would be no problem, but as mentioned if it's a rolled piece or a couple pieces rolled together I would cook it to a higher temp to kill off any bacteria.

I'd put some garlic in the roll, coat it heavily with coarse cracked be pepper, and throw it on the rotisserie until the juices ran pink.

Thanks Guys, some great ideas. I really appreciate the help.

I had a better look this morning and I reckon Phil, JJS and Okiefisher, SmokerJim are right: "It looks like a boneless rib roast tied up. "

Bear: That Rib Roast looks amazing, and all the other food, even the cat got a feed :) Thanks for showing me your thread/method. I will definitely try that.

From what you guys have said, run at 225F until I get 130-150F internal. Dont wrap at all?

For some reason I thought I needed to turn up for the last 15 mins or so to get char or I guess depends on the smoker?

What sort of time would it take to get to the Internal do you think? Just trying to plan the cook :)

Thanks Guys, some great ideas. I really appreciate the help.

I had a better look this morning and I reckon Phil, JJS and Okiefisher, SmokerJim are right: "It looks like a boneless rib roast tied up. "

Bear: That Rib Roast looks amazing, and all the other food, even the cat got a feed :) Thanks for showing me your thread/method. I will definitely try that.

From what you guys have said, run at 225F until I get 130-150F internal. Dont wrap at all?

For some reason I thought I needed to turn up for the last 15 mins or so to get char or I guess depends on the smoker?

What sort of time would it take to get to the Internal do you think? Just trying to plan the cook :)

Hi there and welcome!

A piece of meat really doesn't take much to reach 135F.
What I learned with my Christmas standing rib roast (same thing you have but with bones in) is that smoking at 200F was the right call for me. I did all I could to stretch out getting almost 4 hours of smoke on my roast. We then cut into big giant ribeye steaks and seared on the grill for amazing mesquite smoked ribeye cuts. It was a huge success in the flavor department!

One other thing I learned for myself as well is that I like more seasoning and smoke flavor but with a big solid chunk of meat that cooks fast like a ribeye roast (like the cut you have) it is harder to achieve such a thing due to the fast cook. My solution was to slice about halfway into the roast from the side and I seasoned the meat on both sides of the cut THEN I fanned the meat out some so smoke could get in there as well. That worked great as well for amazing flavor. As for the appearance doing this stuff.... I need to work on that as I tried to make it look like a crown roast and that visual appearance was an epic fail hahahah BUT it tasted amazing!!!

Best of luck :)

Shes in! Bear my missus is going to try the twice baked spuds too.

Rubbed with Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder, set at 225F.

Do I need to spritz with Apple Juice/Worcester sauce every hour or so? Or just leave it?

I’m stoked to see the end result, if the crust isn’t crispy when you pull it off at 125 it heat the oven up to 500 while it rests on the counter and throw it in there for 15-20.

I usually wait til the temp starts dropping back down before I throw it in the oven if needed, it will give you a nice crisp “bark” or crust on the outside of the fat cap with a ton of flavor

Reactions: Jabiru and tallbm
Thanks for the tip. Will do. She’s nearly at internal temp now.

That’s exactly how we like them :emoji_wink:

Shes in! Bear my missus is going to try the twice baked spuds too.

Rubbed with Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder, set at 225F.

Do I need to spritz with Apple Juice/Worcester sauce every hour or so? Or just leave it?

Nothing else is needed—You can just follow any of my Step by steps as is.
I don’t put them in a high heat oven to finish, because I want the meat to be Pink from Bark to Bark.
I also get enough Bark without opening my door to spritz.
There is a Step by Step for each of the Prime Ribs in my Calendar below:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/prime-rib-calendar-my-favorite-smokes.138992/

Bear

The Roast come out good, went to medium internal as my Family dont like it to pink unfortunately. I did need to finish off at 500F for 15 mins after rest as it didn't really Bark up.

Twice baked spuds were real good, just the skin didn't crisp up.

Attachments

• roast.jpeg
    roast.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 32
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky