How to use the new forum.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Here's the screen shot. The second avatar appeared as soon as I posted the thread. If its a good thing--great. Just wasn't sure if I screwed up.
WELL..... I just spent 20 mins trying to insert the screen shot and all I could get was the damn thing asking for a URL. Good thing I've still got 5 months before I can get a new phone or this one would be in pieces!!!!!!!!!
The screenshot shows what Rings was saying.
Gary
Rings is right. If you see the smaller version of your avatar it just means that you have posted in that thread. When you see this thread you will see the smaller version on top of the avatar of the poster that started this thread. Just lets you know that you have already posted in the thread.

Can you post a screenshot of this so I can see what you're seeing?
For these first few weeks the users here will be like this:
$

$

$

I would encourage them like this:
$

They will get the new features and use their heads:
$

Some might not like it at first:
$

$

$

$

But then they will catch on and enjoy the new layout:
$

$

$

I say congrats to you and your team on a job well done:
$

Reactions: TulsaJeff
One of the other things I would like to see come back is... Identification of the "OP" (original poster) throughout the thread when he/she makes multiple post in said thread ... in other words ... When I go back to a new post in an old thread... if it was the "OP" that is posting... let us know by identifying that at the top of his/her post .... instead of having to go back to the "Original Post" to see who the author is/was ...

One of the other things I would like to see come back is... Identification of the "OP" (original poster) throughout the thread when he/she makes multiple post in said thread ... in other words ... When I go back to a new post in an old thread... if it was the "OP" that is posting... let us know by identifying that at the top of his/her post .... instead of having to go back to the "Original Post" to see who the author is/was ...

In some forums you Will see a small [tw] or something next to the (topic writer's ) comments, like in a special color, and that shows that they were the original topic writer .

For these first few weeks the users here will be like this:
$

$

$

I would encourage them like this:
$

They will get the new features and use their heads:
$

Some might not like it at first:
$

$

$

$

But then they will catch on and enjoy the new layout:
$

$

$

I say congrats to you and your team on a job well done:
$

Consider me in category 1 and 3. I find the new format difficult to navigate and find older posts.
I used to just drop to the bottom to see the newer posts. Seemed a reasonable way to see what was going on. Now, I'm just lost. I think the old site was much more user friendly.

Please see my just written post in "new posts". I am having a really tough time with all of this. I actually could ditto every post in these last two pages.

I also like the icons. IMO, they are a good way of adding a special welcome to newbies. Also, if I rememember correctly, about a year ago one of the higher ups wrote a note requesting folks to use the thumbs up more. Now, I guess they're gone???

My biggest critic as a relatively new member is the loss of photos from old threads after the switch to the new system. I'm a long-time lurker but joined recently this spring while building my new smokehouse. I used the search function on the old system to research ideas for my new build, now those old threads pictures are gone. I am an ADMIN on a different forum and we had the same issues when the software was upgraded.
Looks like I'm in with everyone else learning the new system. Now that I'm a member, I can just pm the member that started the old thread and request the photos...if they are still around...

My biggest critic as a relatively new member is the loss of photos from old threads after the switch to the new system. I'm a long-time lurker but joined recently this spring while building my new smokehouse. I used the search function on the old system to research ideas for my new build, now those old threads pictures are gone. I am an ADMIN on a different forum and we had the same issues when the software was upgraded.
Looks like I'm in with everyone else learning the new system. Now that I'm a member, I can just pm the member that started the old thread and request the photos...if they are still around...

Report all posts or threads with missing images in the "Forum Issues" area and we will look into it.

We know we have a lot of missing smilies and those are being addressed already.

Some if not many of the missing images are due to PhotoBucket who recently decided that users must pay in order for them to host their images. You don't pay, the images show up as broken wherever they are posted.

Those can only be fixed if the author of the post pays PB their required fee or if they still have the images on their computer or phone and want to spend the time editing their post by uploading the images instead of linking to PB.

Also, there's a bright yellow link at the top on the desktop that simply says, "Recent".

On the phone or smaller screens, it is in the menu that opens up, toward the bottom.

This is the equivalent of the front page on the old forum with all of the most recent activity. It shows up on that list whether you've read it or not.

If you haven't read it yet, it will have a bolded title and a dark black dot to the left of the listing.

The ONLY difference is that it does not auto update like the old activity feed. You have to click on the refresh icon at the top of your browser once in a while to get the newest stuff added to the top.

Jeff I used to get email updates that said " So & so responded your reply in such & such thread, or something like that. That way I could respond to any questions or comments. In the new format we don't seem to have that feature anymore. I get updates on the threads I comment in, but have to look at each thread to see if someone commented directly to me. Is this something that we will have again?
Al

I am guessing this is where we ask questions and possibly debugg??

I just sent an email, I know I am long winded but it told me I took too long to re-edit my mistakes and will not accept them. Is this gonna be a problem for me?

Oh and BTW, the Edit and Report icons are in the wrong place on the mentioned page also. <shrugs>? You don't think the new software is already mad at me?

I hope time isn’t an issue. I usually take a lot of time posting a cook thread what with checking for mistakes and all. Granted, I’m learning a new IPad versus my old Google Nexus. Why do pictures always wind up at the top of the post instead of where I put them in the dialog?
I’ve been wanting to post a cook from the weekend and frankly I’m leary of starting.
I just tried to quote Foamheart and don’t see it...

Jeff I used to get email updates that said " So & so responded your reply in such & such thread, or something like that. That way I could respond to any questions or comments. In the new format we don't seem to have that feature anymore. I get updates on the threads I comment in, but have to look at each thread to see if someone commented directly to me. Is this something that we will have again?
Al

I get email updates on all the stuff I was in. Unless I cancel the email alerts. That thing... symbol will have a number in red also , that indicates how many alerts i have in site from quotes people quoted me.
IMG_20171025_211039.png

Email is still alerting also.
IMG_20171025_210921.png

I hope time isn’t an issue. I usually take a lot of time posting a cook thread what with checking for mistakes and all. Granted, I’m learning a new IPad versus my old Google Nexus. Why do pictures always wind up at the top of the post instead of where I put them in the dialog?
I’ve been wanting to post a cook from the weekend and frankly I’m leary of starting.
I just tried to quote Foamheart and don’t see it...
I’m not aware of any time limits.. need to check on that.

On the image placement, place the cursor where you want the picture to go just before choosing thumbnail or full size and it will place the image in that spot.

I’m not aware of any time limits.. need to check on that.

On the image placement, place the cursor where you want the picture to go just before choosing thumbnail or full size and it will place the image in that spot.
Ok, I realize now that if you “reply” to a particular post it shows a quote of the post you’re replying to. The “quote” option doesn’t seem to do anything.
Thanks for the reply, Jeff, I’ll get it sorted out.
Tablets don’t have cursors....

Ok, I realize now that if you “reply” to a particular post it shows a quote of the post you’re replying to. The “quote” option doesn’t seem to do anything.
Thanks for the reply, Jeff, I’ll get it sorted out.
Tablets don’t have cursors....
I too have not been able to figure out what the "+Quote" button in the lower right corner is supposed to do. In the old forum, there was a way you could quote the entire post, including any embedded quote that was in that post. Usually that was the wrong thing to do, but once in awhile it was helpful. The "+Quote" button doesn't seem to do that. What it does is a mystery.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky