How to use the new forum.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
So I know some people picked up the forum easy and others have struggled.

I will work on doing a how to for stuff.

Heres my question for you guys. What do you need help doing?

Thanks.

Reactions: foamheart
How to post an image from the "Media Gallery"

so that it looks like an image posted with the "Upload a File" feature/button
brisketFlatTrimAway.png

I guess I basically just want the image from the "Media Gallery" without it posting the "Media" and "Information" tabs and when clicked will show the full image rather than navigating the user away form the thread to the image in the media gallery format.

I understand that what I am asking may not be possible but I figured I would ask because I like having my images available for reuse from the image gallery which does not occur when you use the "upload a file" feature.

{EDIT}]I think I have figured it out but it is absolutely not intuitive lol

I think I'll post a functionality request in the "Welcome to the new SMF" thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: grillard
Private messages have been replaced by conversations ? Profile post same as conversations ? Profile post show up on the home page and are public . Anyway to send a true private message ?

Reactions: smokin peachey
The pm's are still private and the profile posts have always been available for anyone to see, just wasn't on the front page.

How about following someone? I followed someone that is always here commenting but I couldn't see any alerts. is following someone only going to show if they create a topic?

Could you possibly explain the facebook likes? I know what they do in facebook (I think), but what does that have to do with here. Will the points continue as they were? And whats the recommend button do?
Are you referring to the "Like button" on the bottom right of each post? If so, that simply replaces the "Reputation" points we had in the other forum. The system keeps a tally of those and we can use that to give users special user titles or folks can use that to get an idea of how reliable someone's information is. This is not connected to Facebook in any way.

How about following someone? I followed someone that is always here commenting but I couldn't see any alerts. is following someone only going to show if they create a topic?
Great question.. I'll have to test that out and see exactly how it works.

It seems that when I post I see my avatar next to my post, which is good. But I quite often see a smaller avatar (mine) on top of my avatar. What's this??
Gary
Can you post a screenshot of this so I can see what you're seeing?

OK, I guess I understand the change from “points” to “likes”. Gotta keep up with the cool kids, but the points/likes used to show with the Avatars on posts and it was kind of nice to see how long someone had “been around”. Just curious..
My “name” used to be SmokeyMose and now it seems to be smokeymose (no caps). Once again, no big deal, just curious.
What happened to all the cool little “smileys” you could add to posts?

interesting How-To tid-bit. On post I've read before, I finally found that if I click on the dot between the avatar and the thread name, I can go to the first unread post. Big help to me, perhaps others.

interesting How-To tid-bit. On post I've read before, I finally found that if I click on the dot between the avatar and the thread name, I can go to the first unread post. Big help to me, perhaps others.

Thats good info. I didnt know that

Yeah, I just discovered that earlier today. I wish it wasn't such a small, subtle graphic (not at all obvious that it is an active element), but now that I know it is there, I am a happy camper.

Can you post a screenshot of this so I can see what you're seeing?

That means you're seeing a thread that you have been in and already commented once before.

Here's the screen shot. The second avatar appeared as soon as I posted the thread. If its a good thing--great. Just wasn't sure if I screwed up.
WELL..... I just spent 20 mins trying to insert the screen shot and all I could get was the damn thing asking for a URL. Good thing I've still got 5 months before I can get a new phone or this one would be in pieces!!!!!!!!!
The screenshot shows what Rings was saying.
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky