How-to smoke venison brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well as many of us I am new to this as well.. And had a question regarding the brats too. I have now gained a mixer, stuffer, vac sealer and got my smoker build done. Basically I'm looking to make some 60/40 bratwurst. 60 veni/40 pork, what I wanna do Is get some smoke on them and then save them for grilling or frying. Now, to be safe if I had to guess this way may not be possible but, if it was could a guy uses really low temp on the burner to get chips smoking to penetrate the casing? Sorry if I sound insane or if its not possible, I just really like the ole bratwurst and have some extra hog casings.
thanks guys

Brandon

I am fairly new to this as well and have meat thawing for brats at the moment. I have done quite a bit of reading and think most of these guys would recommend a cure like cure #1, I had a heck of a time finding some cure yesterday. Actually bought several packs of jerky brine just for the pink cure packets they come with, only I could find near me. Have to get some bulk online soon. Hope this helps but I think this is what you need to do for what you are wanting. Someone more knowledgable will chime in soon. I am watching.

Timber,

Thats what i was thinking as well with a brownsugar cure or the pink cure, i have a few different brat blends that i am going to try. The only thing with the smoking im worrying about drying out the meat too much, no one likes to eat dry brats lol... that's more of what i'm looking for a successful way of smoking fresh stuffed brats with my choice of flavoring and not dry out the brats. 

thanks

Hey brandon, Welcome to SMF and were glad to have you aboard..... Brats are fresh sausage and its not recommended to cold smoke fresh sausage unless you add cure to the meat then they are not brats anymore. You can cold smoke fresh sausage but it will have to be 42 degrees or colder.  You will need hang the sausage and dry to create a pelicle so the smoke will adhere to the casing. Thats where the casing becomes tacky and the smoke sticks. it doesnt take a lot of smoke to get the flavor..... Are you wanting to make the brats,,, add smoke and freeze for later.. thaw then cook?

Thanks man. Yes essentially I wanna take some venison/pork 60/40 may even try 50/50 anyways and use a brat seasoning and hang get some smoke flavor and then package and freeze to be fried or grilled or whatever later on.

You can but it will have to be cold smoked refrigerated or in an area colder than 40 degrees with a supply of cold smoke... May i suggest after the sausage is made, hang the sausge in the fridge and let it form a pellicle then roll it in some liquid smoke then package and freeze.. I havent done this but it makes sense to me...... I do 50/50 pork shoulder and venison

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky