How to secure smokin-it smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

toejam

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
I just got my brand-spankin new Smokin-It 3.5D, really looking forward to moving up from the MES smokers. I'd like to hear how others have secured their smokers, ie lock them so someone can't simply roll them away. This buggar is made of SS, so, drilling may take some time, but, may be what is required to secure the rig.

So, I anxiously await input on how to lock up my smoker.

I just got my brand-spankin new Smokin-It 3.5D, really looking forward to moving up from the MES smokers. I'd like to hear how others have secured their smokers, ie lock them so someone can't simply roll them away. This buggar is made of SS, so, drilling may take some time, but, may be what is required to secure the rig.

So, I anxiously await input on how to lock up my smoker.
All of my portables live in the garden with the exception of my Lang 84.

Reactions: Flatrate
Maybe there is some place to put a u bolt you can run a cable through. There ain't much that will deter a determined thief, but that should stop most of them.

I bolted mine on filing cabinets (with added casters so they can be moved). They could be picked up and moved off my property but it most likely would take 2 people. Adding a chain to secure to a post wouldn't be too hard.
For my Smokin-It #1 I put a eye bolt through a leg and chain it down with a bicycle cable lock.

I bolted mine on filing cabinets (with added casters so they can be moved). They could be picked up and moved off my property but it most likely would take 2 people. Adding a chain to secure to a post wouldn't be too hard.
For my Smokin-It #1 I put a eye bolt through a leg and chain it down with a bicycle cable lock.
I'm thinking the legs may be the best location to drill a hole to put in some cable to lock the smoker to some other object. Might be able to run a cable through the spacing in the castor wheels: I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

Reactions: tallbm
If you have a patio or porch with a poured concrete slab, I think that would be the place to secure the smoker. If you check your local paper you should be able to locate a welder who makes house calls. Welding a 1/2 inch hardened chain LINK to one of the legs, then install a heavy duty wedge anchor into your patio deck (concrete?) and weld a length of chain to the top of the anchor. Padlock the chain to the link. Other than than, locking it up in a garage or other out building is a good option.

If you have a patio or porch with a poured concrete slab, I think that would be the place to secure the smoker. If you check your local paper you should be able to locate a welder who makes house calls. Welding a 1/2 inch hardened chain LINK to one of the legs, then install a heavy duty wedge anchor into your patio deck (concrete?) and weld a length of chain to the top of the anchor. Padlock the chain to the link. Other than than, locking it up in a garage or other out building is a good option.
I got to thinking of welding a ss ring to one of the legs, big enough to run a chain through. Of course, someone with a bolt cutter will go through that easily. Like all security measures, you can only keep the honest people honest. Someone determined to take your stuff will find a way, no matter how secure you try to make your equipment.

That will work. Hardened steel is pretty tuff stuff and how many spur of the moment thieves carry bolt cutters or an angle grinder around with them? Your plan should work as a good deterrent.

don't know how much good it does but put signs up that security cameras are in use, and whether or not you have the cameras, it's another thing for a few of them to think about anyway.

Guess I’m glad I live where I don’t lock doors or secure outdoor stuff.
And no, you can’t have my address 😁

Reactions: toejam
I got to thinking of welding a ss ring to one of the legs, big enough to run a chain through. Of course, someone with a bolt cutter will go through that easily. Like all security measures, you can only keep the honest people honest. Someone determined to take your stuff will find a way, no matter how secure you try to make your equipment.
I was curious about this and I pulled up this pic of the Smokin-It 3d from their website:
e1Jx8hs.png

I'd run a chain through the wheels and pad lock it to something at the house like a porch pillar.

If you simply don't want them to be able to roll it away easily you can simply put a long "bolt" pad lock through the wheel hole itself and it will keep the wheel from rolling.

If you wanted to get SUPER slick you could remove the wheels. Then drill holes in a concrete porch, put anchors into the porch and then bolt the sucker to the floor using the holes where the wheels are attached. You can use special bolts with heads that need some sort of key/tool to drive or remove them.

There's a few options there and figured this would give some food for thought :)

Reactions: wimpy69 and toejam
I was curious about this and I pulled up this pic of the Smokin-It 3d from their website:
View attachment 653277

I'd run a chain through the wheels and pad lock it to something at the house like a porch pillar.

If you simply don't want them to be able to roll it away easily you can simply put a long "bolt" pad lock through the wheel hole itself and it will keep the wheel from rolling.

If you wanted to get SUPER slick you could remove the wheels. Then drill holes in a concrete porch, put anchors into the porch and then bolt the sucker to the floor using the holes where the wheels are attached. You can use special bolts with heads that need some sort of key/tool to drive or remove them.

There's a few options there and figured this would give some food for thought :)
A bit of background may help. I run a marina and use my smoker to make baby back ribs about one weekend per month. My landlord, US Army Corps of Engineers, doesn't like smokers or grills on the docks, so, I am developing a solution that requires a portable smoker. Thus, I can't permanently mount the smoker in one location. It needs to be staged on the weekends I cook ribs, then returned to it's storage location.

Thus far, the option of welding a ring to a leg, or drilling through a leg and installing either a steel cable or an eyebolt, appear to be my best alternatives. But, the more eyes that take a look at the situation can help to find more potential solutions.

I appreciate all the suggestions, keep them rolling.

BTW: I have more cameras on my docks than the local community has on all of its houses.

Reactions: tallbm
A bit of background may help. I run a marina and use my smoker to make baby back ribs about one weekend per month. My landlord, US Army Corps of Engineers, doesn't like smokers or grills on the docks, so, I am developing a solution that requires a portable smoker. Thus, I can't permanently mount the smoker in one location. It needs to be staged on the weekends I cook ribs, then returned to it's storage location.

Thus far, the option of welding a ring to a leg, or drilling through a leg and installing either a steel cable or an eyebolt, appear to be my best alternatives. But, the more eyes that take a look at the situation can help to find more potential solutions.

I appreciate all the suggestions, keep them rolling.

BTW: I have more cameras on my docks than the local community has on all of its houses.
The USACoE can be helpful in many situations. I can understand from an open flame/hot charcoal point of view. But an electric smoker might be an exception, maybe, possibly, but doubtful. Good luck!

The USACoE can be helpful in many situations. I can understand from an open flame/hot charcoal point of view. But an electric smoker might be an exception, maybe, possibly, but doubtful. Good luck!
Yeah, had that discussion - there are no fires in my electric smoker. Max temperature is usually 225 degrees. Didn't get any sympathy, so, I have to accommodate.
The USACoE generally is trying to make things better. I may not like their restrictions, but, their motives are to make things safer. I've found it better to work through them instead of against them.

Maybe you should move to a safer neighborhood.
Any business runs risks of folks with sticky fingers. I have cameras because they allow me to sit in my house and monitor activity at the marina. And, I can charge customers for access to the cameras so they can monitor their boats. Security cameras are a revenue stream.

Any business runs risks of folks with sticky fingers. I have cameras because they allow me to sit in my house and monitor activity at the marina. And, I can charge customers for access to the cameras so they can monitor their boats. Security cameras are a revenue stream.
I was joking,sorry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky