How to light charcoal to get even distribution of heat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cloudcover

Original poster
Jun 26, 2018
Hello -

I recently bought an Akorn Jr kamado cooker to complement my bigger kamado cooker for when I want to do smaller portions -- like grilling burgers, kebabs, hot dogs, chicken pieces, etc. Overall, I'm loving it. But the main problem I'm having is that parts of the grate surface get much hotter than others...which of course has to do with the charcoal burning hotter in some parts than others. I'm wondering what people suggest is the best way to light charcoal to get even heat distribution.

Right now, I'm starting with the bowl mostly full of lump charcoal...bottom vent fully open, top lid open. Then I take my electric charcoal starter (I bought this one because it seemed best for even heating) and wedge the flat part under the charcoal as much in the center as possible. I let it heat for about 10 minutes, then remove it. I close the lid, open the lid vent fully, and let the grill continue heating for another 10 minutes or so.

For whatever reason, one half of the grill (say the left half) gets roaring hot, but the other half is like medium-low.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

I just use a basic charcoal chimney. Fill the bottom w paper and light her up. When the top coals are half grey, I dump in the grill area and evenly broadcast with Long tongs. Never ever had a problem with hot or cold spots.

Yes. I would agree it is your lighting technique. You want ALL of the coals to be lit for grilling. (But for low and slow smoking... now that would be a different matter.) Get a chimney. They are cheap. Get them all going before you dump them.

^^^ That works. But if you have a gas burner handy, just set the chimney on it. There is no need for paper, wax cube or starter of any kind. Guaranteed to light faster and easier than any other method. I only need to leave the gas burner on for a minute or two.

I just use a basic charcoal chimney. Fill the bottom w paper and light her up. When the top coals are half grey, I dump in the grill area and evenly broadcast with Long tongs. Never ever had a problem with hot or cold spots.
Thanks for the replies!

I have a charcoal chimney but thought it wasn't best suited to this setup, though maybe I'll have to go that route anyway. Because the kamado grill is very efficient, typically only a small percentage of the lump charcoal that I load gets used and much of it remains available to use for the next grilling session. So when I go to light that charcoal again, with a chimney, that means using gloved hands to take as much of that leftover charcoal as I can out of the grill and into the chimney; light it and get it hot; then put it back in the grill. Totally do-able, I agree. But it's messier and not as easy as wedging in the electric lighter! :)

tfireup.jpg

Reactions: browneyesvictim
On my Kettle and WSM for grilling I use a charcoal starter and a starter cube. For smoking or low temp indirect cooking I use just a starter cube under the unlit charcoal.

Chris

Reactions: phatbac
Thanks for the replies!

I have a charcoal chimney but thought it wasn't best suited to this setup, though maybe I'll have to go that route anyway. Because the kamado grill is very efficient, typically only a small percentage of the lump charcoal that I load gets used and much of it remains available to use for the next grilling session. So when I go to light that charcoal again, with a chimney, that means using gloved hands to take as much of that leftover charcoal as I can out of the grill and into the chimney; light it and get it hot; then put it back in the grill. Totally do-able, I agree. But it's messier and not as easy as wedging in the electric lighter! :)

Sounds like you could use a charcoal basket. Just shake out the ash and dump remaining in the chimney. Or most of the time I just start a few new briquettes in the chimney that go on top of the old unlit charcoal- Minion Method style. Plus a basket makes ash cleanout a whole lot easier- you don't have to touch the briquettes at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky