How to go up on the price...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...without actually going up on the price is to just reduce the amount in the package. Numerous companies have been doing this for several years. Remember when a package of vegetables, whether canned or frozen, was 16 oz? Smoked sausage such as Hillshire came in 1 lb. packs? Well I noticed today that some mayonnaise producers are getting in on the act now, too. Kraft and Hellmann's mayonnaise now come in 30 oz. jars, no longer a quart. I don't know how long they've been doing this, but same price, just 2 oz. less. I only buy Duke's and for the time being it still comes in 1 quart jars, but how much longer?

Reactions: HalfSmoked
It's been going on for a while now and I doubt that it goes away. Almost everyone is doing it.
Frozen vegetables, shredded cheese just as couple of examples. 14oz packages instead of 16oz, which makes it tough to follow a recipe that calls for 16.
Mayo was one of the first. They started putting dimples in the bottom of the jar years ago so the jar stayed the same size with less inside.
At least a dozen eggs is still a dozen eggs.

And it’s gonna get worse, remember when shrimp came in 1 lb. Bags, now they are 12 ounces. Probably be 8 oz. Soon & you will have to buy 2 bags for your recipe.
Al

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I first noticed it with dog food. OH GREAT it's on sale. yes but it's an18lb bag not a 20 lb bag.
then the sale is over and the price for the 18lb bag is the original price of the 20 lb bag.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Can you post a link to your bacon making thread I must’ve missed it?
Hasn't been one recently... I've cured some bacon recently but didn't take any pics or post it. In the past I've done it using pop's brine, alot of Bearcarver Bearcarver Recipe using tenderquick and this last batch I used disco disco Method. If you want I would have to go find them and figure out how to post a link again... usually on my phone so it takes me a bit.

Ryan

Hasn't been one recently... I've cured some bacon recently but didn't take any pics or post it. In the past I've done it using pop's brine, alot of Bearcarver Bearcarver Recipe using tenderquick and this last batch I used disco disco Method. If you want I would have to go find them and figure out how to post a link again... usually on my phone so it takes me a bit.

Ryan
I’d love to see them when you get a minute and are waiting on the grain cart.

Reactions: flatbroke
And they seem to think people won't notice, because they all do it together.
People do, but what are they going to do about it? Do without?

Can you post a link to your bacon making thread I must’ve missed it?

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Thanks buddy! I knew I had seen this thread awhile back but couldn’t find it for the life of me.
And how are the crops yielding?

Reactions: flatbroke
They started putting dimples in the bottom of the jar years ago so the jar stayed the same size with less inside

Interesting that you mention this. I've actually seen fast food types of restaurants doing the same thing. Put a huge hump in the bottom of the plate so it looks like you're getting a lot more food than you're actually getting. Pretty pathetic IMHO. I understand that production costs go up...heck everything does, but I'd rather pay the price than have a company making feeble attempts at duping the buying public.

Robert

...Pretty pathetic IMHO. I understand that production costs go up...heck everything does, but I'd rather pay the price than have a company making feeble attempts at duping the buying public.

Robert
Me, too. This is the part that aggravates me. Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining...

Reactions: SmokyMose
Thanks TNJAKE TNJAKE for posting that! I appreciate it!
And crops are doing well for no more rain than we had.

Ryan

Reactions: TNJAKE
Back when we all cooked, recipes were based on the standard package size that the product had always came in. Now with fewer cooks, there's fewer folks to complain when they slowly, but determinedly, shrink the package size.

The first I remember of the shrinking packaging was tuna. I don't remember what it used to be but IIRC it's been shrunk twice.

They also stopped packaging in tuna oil and it hasn't tasted as good since. It's bad enough in water compared to fish oil and it's hideous in veggie oil.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky