How to clean mold from MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

husker3in4

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
I have an older MES that I really loved until it died, probably a good 3 years ago. After replacing the heating element to no avail, then replacing the thermostat shut off (little round sensor about 3/4 the way up on the inside left of the smoker) and it still didnt work, it has just sat in storage. I almost threw it away on several occasions, but even after I got newer smokers, I always liked this one the best. Anyway, I finally got around to messing with it again, and after a buddy tested different parts, it turns out the thermostat sensor shutoff was bad. I got new ones (came from hong kong, took forever) and now it heats up like a champ!

Not the problem: after sitting for 3+ years thru very cold winters and very humid summers, it looks like there may be some white-ish mold in it. I ran it at 250 last night for about 90 mins hoping it would burn off but it did not. How should I clean it? I thought I read somewhere that I have to be careful cleaning the inside so I dont damage it. There is lots of "seasoning" built up in it now, and maybe even some rust on some of the parts (chip tray).

I also want to give the outside a good wipe down (no mold or rust present on the outside).

Any suggestions?

I have an older MES that I really loved until it died, probably a good 3 years ago. After replacing the heating element to no avail, then replacing the thermostat shut off (little round sensor about 3/4 the way up on the inside left of the smoker) and it still didnt work, it has just sat in storage. I almost threw it away on several occasions, but even after I got newer smokers, I always liked this one the best. Anyway, I finally got around to messing with it again, and after a buddy tested different parts, it turns out the thermostat sensor shutoff was bad. I got new ones (came from hong kong, took forever) and now it heats up like a champ!

Not the problem: after sitting for 3+ years thru very cold winters and very humid summers, it looks like there may be some white-ish mold in it. I ran it at 250 last night for about 90 mins hoping it would burn off but it did not. How should I clean it? I thought I read somewhere that I have to be careful cleaning the inside so I dont damage it. There is lots of "seasoning" built up in it now, and maybe even some rust on some of the parts (chip tray).

I also want to give the outside a good wipe down (no mold or rust present on the outside).

Any suggestions?

Awesome from dollar store

uncle Google says:
To kill mold: Use white distilled vinegar and pour it into a spray bottle without watering it down. Spray the vinegar onto the moldy surface and leave it to sit for an hour. Finally, wipe the area clean with water and allow the surface to dry.

If it IS mold then your absolute best option is to spray it down with a strong bleach solution. Leave it overnight, then scrape off as much as you can. Respray the entire interior with the bleach solution. Leave it overnight, then scrape anything left and thoroughly wash it out. Depending on what kind of mold it is, I would wear a mask so as not to inhale anything.
That will take care of the mold. Then I would recommend reseasoning the smoker and you're good to go.
I had a black mold problem once and bleach is what the experts told me to use. Said it would absolutely kill all the mold. I followed their directions and never had another problem with mold.
Gary

I have taken some mold remediation courses in my day and for that sort of application they just recommend soap and water. People love to throw bleach at mold but I wouldn't want that in my cooker. Just scrub the hell out of it with soap and water and remove the excess.

I would think Awesome and bleach both would be too harsh for both the inside of the smoker and for cooking later. I would be worried there would be chemicals left behind that would end up on the food?
20180208_174753.jpg
20180208_174804.jpg
20180208_174746.jpg
20180208_174757.jpg

Run the smoker at 275 for several hours.. It will all be killed... then brush off the inside with a stiff nylon scrub brush to knock off the loose stuff... Fire her up and add smoke to re season... You are good to go...

Reactions: SonnyE
Run the smoker at 275 for several hours.. It will all be killed... then brush off the inside with a stiff nylon scrub brush to knock off the loose stuff... Fire her up and add smoke to re season... You are good to go...

What he said!!!!!

So if I run it at 275 for several hours and go over the inside with a nylon brush, I wont need to use vinegar or anything?
How long is several hours?

I think I would burn it out with the 275 run, like Dave recommends.
Then, if still in doubt, mix a 10% bleach/water solution and clean it with that.
I would also invert the smoker, or lay it on a side to keep any running liquid away from any electrics.
Bleach/water will evaporate away and not effect you or your food smoked in it.
10% Bleach/water is what we were instructed to use to clean up blood borne pathogens.
And if your wondering, Black Mold is the really bad stuff.

Ok, did that last night and nylon brushed all the gunk/mold off. How should I clean the rubber door seal? Just wipe it with the water/vinegar solution?

Since becoming aware of this, I've been sterilizing my MES 30 after each use.
After cleaning and drying my racks and mats, oven and drip foil, I set it and forget it for 275° for 2 hours to kill any critters lurking there. Later I check it and shut it down, and tuck it in till next time.
The daveomak method. Super easy. ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky